Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Compassion for Others

Animals sometimes show the most amazing amount of compassion for others. They can also be so mean to each other.
 
Last week my young rooster was attacked. I found him wedged behind the laying boxes. He had been trying to get away from his attacker(s). The attack had evidently just happened. If only I had gone out there a few minutes sooner, then I could have prevented the attack. I picked him up and carried him out of the pen.
 
 
I washed the blood from his face and doctored the places. I am afraid that he may have lost his vision in both eyes. As I was cleaning his face, Jackie, a barn cat, came to see what was going on. She rubbed against him gently.
 
 
Jackie gently sniffed his face. She knew that he had been hurt. The rooster did not complain, but sat still while Jackie purred and rubbed against him. Jackie mewed softly as if she were trying to comfort him.
 
 
 
The rooster was not afraid of Jackie. Everyday I take the rooster out of his cage and sit with him outside a few times during the day. I let him walk around. If he will be blind, then he will need to learn how to live as a blind rooster. I stay with him the entire time and he listens to the sound of my voice. That sound tells him where I am. He will walk away from me only if Jackie is with him. Otherwise, he stays as close to me as he can get. Jackie guides him where he walks. Jackie showed a remarkable amount of compassion for this rooster, in spite of the fact that his own kind attacked and tried to kill him. Normally my cats ignore the chickens. If they are getting too close, the cats will get up and move away from the chickens. They are not enemies, they are not friends, but have decided to exist together here.
 
Posted by Picasa
The rooster seems to be able to tell the difference between lightness and darkness. Perhaps his eyes will heal in time. Until then, Jackie will help him.

We bought him as a chick from Tractor Supply, The chicks were supposed to be sexed. Somehow they missed this one. He is a Rhode Island Red, I wasn't sure that I wanted to keep him when I found out he was a rooster. Guess that he will be staying now though!

15 comments:

  1. Oh- That just puts a lump in my throat. How wonderful that your kitty has adopted him. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that she has adopted him and he doesn't mind either! Thanks Diana, and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh Melanie, that last picture is just precious! Even when kitties can be mean, they are also very compassionate. Not ours though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing isn't it? If I had not seen this, I wouldn't have believed it! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. What a tremendously heartwarming story.
    I am always amazed at how God's creatures have a sense for each other that is out of the ordinary.
    While most are either prey or predator...scenes like this definitely tell a different story,huh?
    Like the lion and the lamb...I'm amazed.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed too! I had to share this story! Thanks for visiting Pat!!!

      Delete
  4. So sad that this happened. Jackie seems like such a sweet cat and I do believe that she was comforting him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is sad. I felt bad because I had thought about how I didn't want another rooster, and then this happened to him. My husband said last night that we were keeping him! Jackie is a sweet girl and I too believe that she was comforting him the best way she knew how. She must have known that he would be frightened of her, but she was letting him know that it would be okay, she would not hurt him. Thanks Linda and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, I have seen animals of different species 'take care' of each other, I'm sure this is what Jackie is in the process of, and maybe the little Rooster's eyes will heal or he and Jackie will do life together as much as they can... my healing thoughts are directed your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that they can be friends for a long time too! Thank you Lynn and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  6. What a sweet story--I love it when animals show caring for each other. I hope the rooster heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too Sandy, it can be amazing to see the compassion and love that they will show each other! Even outside of their own species. Thanks Sandy and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  7. Oh my, this is so touching. Animals can so be amazing. I hope your rooster does not lose his eye sight!

    Just found your blog and knew I had to follow after I read this story. Please visit mine if you get a moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They amaze me daily! Thank you Khammany. So happy that you found me and look forward to reading your blog as well. Headed over to your blog right now! Thank you for following and thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  8. Looks so lovely!!! Extraordinary friendship... I got a lot of cats pictures, It's can be a good lesson for us. Inspiring blog, so I had to follow your blog. I invite you to visit my blog, and share a lot of things each other. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!