Monday, July 15, 2013

Duck Days

 
Posted by Picasa
Murphy enjoying the mud


This may come as a surprise to you, but there is rain in the forecast. It is raining as I type this and my ferns are happy. I am not complaining, I understand the importance of rain, most especially to the farmers of this area. Their livelihood often depends on sufficient rainfall. Rainfall is important to all of us, no matter what our jobs are.

The dog days of summer have begun and Southerners, especially those of us here in the middle/south Georgia area, know all about those dreadfully hot and uncomfortable days. This year has been different, and again I am not complaining. The lack of 100 degree and above temperatures does not bother me in the least; as a matter of fact I have enjoyed and appreciated it!

My ducks have appreciated the rain. They would probably dance if they knew how, and no I don’t plan to teach them to dance. This made me wonder about this year’s dog days; perhaps we should consider calling them duck days instead. My ducks would approve of that.

Murphy and Burt have enjoyed every rainy day. Their pool is full, their baths are long and drawn out, and the water temperature is just right. There is much happiness in the duck pen these days. Gertie goose is happy also. She is happy to play in the rain as well. I enjoy hearing their happy sounds when it rains.

Are they talking to each other and what are they saying? Could they be telling each other how happy they are to see the rain? Are they happy because they can play in the mud and then take a bath? Maybe they are laughing at our ridiculous cat Boll Weevil because he sits in the rain getting soaking wet, or are they laughing at our cat Spud because he doesn’t like to get wet. I will probably never know what these three are saying to each other, but it is fun to imagine.

It is my suspicion that should the meteorologist forecast something different, he would have some explaining to do. Gertie would have a few things to say or pinch to him. It is easy to imagine the conversation that these three would have then. For now, we will enjoy or endure, depending on your view, the duck days of summer, and appreciate the benefits of those duck days.

8 comments:

  1. This is an entertaining blog post, I love your Murphy's photo and what a series of great names you've chosen for your pets!! I bet they are saying everything you guessed at, maybe a comment or two on you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lynn! I was afraid that they were talking about me! Thanks for visiting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Lynn's comments. This was very entertaining and a happy post. Love the pic of the duck and your guesses as to their conversations. I like thinking about what kind of things my dog is thinking as she observes the world around her. The Duck Days of summer - we are enjoying that here in Texas, too and I am not complaining either. You do give your critters such cute names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nonnie! Lynn is probably right! They are talking about me and complaining that they should be fed 4 times a day instead of 2! LOL! I can't help but wonder what they think about either, it would be interesting to know sometimes.....

      Thank you for your kind words Nonnie. I just name them whatever comes to mind at that moment! thanks for visiting Nonnie!!!

      Delete
  4. Awww...what a cute picture! My nieces and nephews have two ducks - Buddy and Easter are their names and they are ALWAYS together :) So cute.

    I hope your week is going well. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ducks are really funny to have around, they seem to keep me laughing about something. Love the names Buddy and Easter, so cute! thanks for visiting Stephanie!!!

      Delete
  5. What a cute picture!! I can just picture them having a great time in the 'pool' :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are having a blast these days! Thanks for visiting Susan!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!