Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Painting the Porch

The porch is getting a much needed painting! The work has begun of scraping and cleaning to prepare the porch.
 
This needed doing. I have looked at the porch for the past 3 years and thought about how much it needed doing. Then I would say to myself, "it's too hot for that right now" or "it's too cold for that right now" or wet or dry or I am too busy. You get the picture. There was also the idea that if I painted the floor, then the railings would need it and you certainly can't do that without painting the ceiling and the shutters too! This is also a 2 story house. Enough said?
 
 
The work began 4 weeks ago. I was excited! The porch would look so good for the fourth of July! Rain however prevents work from progressing. The Border Grass looks good though.
 
 
The gentleman doing the work has scraped and cleaned as he could. Did I mention rain?
 
 
I am not complaining, really, well sorta, maybe, kinda, okay, just a little bit, but not too much. We don't want it to go away and stay away. I remember what happened last year with our water!
 
 
The colors have been chosen and the painter has looked carefully at our door and the vintage hardware. The ceiling will be blue, not a Haint Blue, but a lovely shade of pale sky blue. We debated on the exact color of blue and finally settled on one that I love. More on that later.
 
 
Looking at my furniture and thinking about the way my porch will look, I realize that it needs a makeover too! My shabby, rusty furniture looked great with my desperately needs painting porch.
 
 
Posted by Picasa
The porch furniture will get a fresh coat of paint. I am playing around with the idea of a theme. The former owner of this house, "Miss" Birdie loved daffodils and I am thinking of giving her a nod with a bench that will have daffodils painted on it and perhaps a verse from a nursery rhyme. There is the idea for a sign floating around in my head too. Just hoping that I have as much energy as I have ideas!

 

10 comments:

  1. a big job but at least you are not doing it, :-), it will be so beautiful when done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! Me not doing it is why it hasn't been done before now! Of course it will look better since someone who knows what he is doing it and not me! Thanks for visiting Lynn!!!

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of a daffodil bench. So happy. And I know about putting things off. Lots of things to do around here, but always find a reason or excuse to wait. You will be enjoying that pretty porch this fall. Speaking for myself here, a little more rain would be nice, but I also understand when there's been a little too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nonnie! I have plenty of ideas, time is another issue though.

      Yes, there are plenty of reasons for me too put things off too! Now this one is finally getting done, I can move onto other things! Thanks for visiting Nonnie!!!

      Delete
  3. I'm revamping my porch too...it is slow going I don't have a "painter". That would be me! :)
    I hope to have something to show for it...eventually.
    I also want to make a big sign for my porch to camouflage my power box and some wiring.
    I painted it to blend in recently, ...that helped tremendously.
    I Like daffodils and think a bench painted up would be pretty.
    ...it's raining here as I type. Take care. Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Non-Painter Mel is the reason that there is a real painter! Non-Painter Mel didn't do the job! It would have taken me forever to get this job done anyway and it is a 2 story house, non-painter Mel would not be able to do the upstairs! Ahh yes, camoflauge is a friend of mine too! Enjoy your rain! Thanks for visiting Pat!!!

      Delete
  4. You have a lovely big porch! The scraping and painting is a huge job; I know your glad you aren't having to do it yourself.
    I'll look forward to seeing the finished 'product'...I'm sure it will be beautiful!!

    Thanks for thinking of me and checking in!!!
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would have been more than I could have accomplished and I am delighted that I am not doing it!! I am anxious to get it completed though! Thanks Dolores and thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. I understand all of those reasons for delaying a chore needing attention. We'll do it in the spring... in the fall... I have some outside paint jobs that hopefully will get done this time around.

    I know your porch will be beautiful! Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always plenty of excuses, or there were for getting this porch done! Good luck, hope you get your outside painting done quicker than ours will be done! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!