Thursday, July 18, 2013

Respectable Once Again

This post comes with a confession. I took part in the "country decorating" movement in the 80's. Yes I did, (hanging head in shame) but my friends did too. They are just not admitting it. Blue and mauve, hearts, geese, hats with flowers on them and floppy eared bunnies. Yep, those things were in my home.
 
I held onto a few things that I loved, even though they are dated. This corner cabinet was one of those things. My friend V gave it to me after she was finished with it, I used it for awhile, my aunt used it, my daughter used it and now it is in my house again. I decided it was past time for an update.
 
 
I dragged her outside and gave her a good scrubbing and a fresh coat of paint. The door was removed for painting, the heart cut out makes it look a bit, okay a lot dated don't you think?
 
 
I painted the outside white and the inside a pale yellow.
 
 
Posted by Picasa
This cabinet is now respectable again and holds a few of my blue and white pieces. It was hard to get pictures, the weather has not been cooperative.

The door may remain off. There is the issue of the heart cut out, patching the hole is an option. My concern is that it will not look right. What would you do? Leave the door off, repair the cut out, or just paint it and put the door back on?

15 comments:

  1. Oh, I have to admit it - I was in that same 80s group. Now your little shelf looks great now! I like it without the door! It's always great to have a spot to poke more pretties!
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that I wasn't alone! Thank you Shelia, it would be a great place to pike some more pretties! Thanks for vsiting!!!

      Delete
  2. Well I like the option of having a door.
    Maybe you cut through the heart and create more of a frame out of the door and put some chicken wire or gathered curtain in it.
    I like it this way too...with the door off.
    I'm no help, I'm indecisive!
    You did a great job with it...Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good idea, had not thought of that and it would not be hard to do either. Thanks Pat and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. Hmmmm. My sister gave me a hat with flowers on it and it is hanging on the wall of the frilly guest bedroom. And I think in the kids' room the little book/storage bench may have some bunnies on it. I guess I will hang my head for the day! ;-)
    Your cabinet is lovely and you are a very industrious lady! I love the blue plates next to the white cabinet and everything in and on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nonnie, I still have my floppy eared bunny sitting in a chair in my guest room! I have a few other things, but if you like them why shouldn't you keep them? Thank you for the compliment, blue and white remains a favorite of mine, no matter how I have decorated my home, I always manage to get the blue and white in somehow! Thanks for visiting Nonnie!!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa, I think it looks MUCH better! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. I loved it in the natural state (I had a lot of country in the '80's too) but this new look is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn! Amazing what paint can do. Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  6. Isn't it amazing what a fresh coat of paint (oh & removing the door w/the heart insert) can do? It looks quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is!! Thank you and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  7. When I was just a little girl I remember my mom had the same kind of decor you had :) Your shelf looks great with it's new paint - definitely gave it a refreshing look.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  8. hello Melanie.... I'm Endah from Indonesia. Nice to see your blog. Your blog is so exciting and inspiring. It's beautiful cabinet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!