Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Week 6 of Porch Painting Project

Week 6 of the seemingly endless porch painting project has begun. This wonderful home is over 100 years old and has many imperfections. The list of things that I love is much longer than those imperfections!
 
I have often wondered about the hands that built this house. What were the hopes and dreams of the first family that lived here? How many times have mothers walked across these floors holding sleeping or fretful babies? What did the furniture look like? Many more questions come to mind.
 
 
The exposed wood gives the home an appearance that it hasn't been loved for some time. The wood is aged and lovely to me.
 
 
The door hinges that now need replacing and the shutters that will be painted aid the neglected look.
 
 
There is beauty here. That beauty is reflected in the window.  Summer's greenery is on display for those willing to look. The grain of the exposed wood is lovely as well.
 
 
The time will come that the porch will be finished. My furniture will go back into place. My porch will once again be a place that we enjoy.
 
 
I am anxious, it will not happen soon enough,
 
 
I miss quiet mornings with coffee on the porch, alone with my thoughts and a barn cat in my lap. It is a time to enjoy this south Georgia world greeting the new day.
 
 
Until then, I wait patiently, or rather impatiently now. There is progress.
 
 
Posted by Picasa
I am ready to put things back in order. I wonder if the porch will be finished this summer? Until then, I plan how I want the porch to look this fall. The end of this project can't come fast enough for me!

14 comments:

  1. I bet it will be just lovely. I for one, can't wait for fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah! I am anxious for it to be done now. July and Aunust always have me looking forward to fall!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. I really like what has happened so far with the porch, I love to begin reno projects but am always in a wee bit of a hurry that they finish, disorder is fine for a time but then!! ;-) I really like the old wood, paint curling photos, I wonder will you reuse the hinges they don't look so time battered, could you find out the past families history a bit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn! The disorder is bugging me now and I am ready to have things straight again! We will probably re-use the hinges, just spruce them up a bit.

      I do know a little bit about the history of the house. I have talked to the granddaughter of a previous owner! There will be a little nod to the past owner on the front porch. That will be part of the reveal, hopefully one day soon!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. The middle of a project is always the hardest part to handle. Just remember there is a finish line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Michelle, it is the hardest part! Keeping my eye on that finish line! Thanks for visiting Michelle!!!

      Delete
  4. Your porch looks like such an inviting place to relax! It's so hard to be patient while waiting for a project to be done! You're getting closer :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, I am closer today than I was yesterday! A little bit closer each day is better than not at all!! Thanks Susan and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. Just think how pleasant the fall mornings will be on your front porch. It will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to it! Thanks Nonnie and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  6. There is beauty in the exposed wood but I can't wait to see what your finished porch will look like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ready to put my plans into action! It will happen in time. Thanks Khammany and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  7. Seems were are at a similar junction in our travels lately.
    You and I with our porches, awaiting paint, and our railings needing some TLC...
    I'm grateful for my porches and I know you are too. :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Pat, we are at a similar junction. I have been watching your progress and you are ahead of me! I am grateful for the porch, we do enjoy it and friends enjoy sitting there too. Hoping that we both finish these projects soon and this will be behind us. Then we can work on something else, LOL! Thanks Pat and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!