Monday, July 22, 2013

Wise Old Sayings

This past week, I was talking to a precious family friend. We always have good conversations because we have so much in common. We were talking about the sayings that we had heard in our lifetimes. There were many that we shared. These sayings have meaning and more wisdom than young people realize.
My Granddaddy had many and I loved hearing them. One of his favorites was “a little bird doesn’t fly so high that it doesn’t need to come down for water”. I always liked that one; it means we are all the same, no matter how highfalutin we may think we are.
Our friend has said “that just takes the rag off the bush”, or as my Mama says, “that just beats all”. We should remember that “what you pass to the left will come back to you from the right”, there is wisdom in that too. We should make sure that we are passing good things to our left!
“A dog that brings a bone carries a bone” is another favorite. That means that if someone is anxious to bring gossip to you, that person will gossip about you to someone else. Granddaddy said “that’s too much sugar for a nickel” many times, meaning that it is a bit more than you bargained for.
There were those sayings about the weather such as “wind out of the east isn’t good for man or beast” and “morning rain is like an old lady’s dance, soon over”. A childhood friend’s Big Mama said “more nervous than a long tailed cat in a room full of racking chairs” many times. I laughed the first time that I heard that one.  My husband says “that dog will not hunt”.  Mama always said “I’ll be John Brown”. I always wondered as a child, who he was and why Mama wanted to be him.
We have all heard and said these things many times as southerners. They are such a part of our everyday language that we often do not realize how many we use. These colorful sayings often say it better than just plain words.  If you are “not from around here” you may not understand these bits of wisdom. If you don’t understand, we will explain it to you “directly”. Don’t be “bowed up like a Halloween cat”, these sayings are “handier than a pocket on a shirt”.


12 comments:

  1. These sayings were so much fun to read :) I must confess that I don't think I've heard any of them.

    Thanks for sharing and have a great Monday!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such a part of our language, we don't realize how many we use here! Glad to share them with someone that hasn't heard them. Thanks Stephanie and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. these are fun-don't count your chickens before you hatch, is the only one I can remember..yet there were riddles of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that one is one that I have heard all of my life, right along with don't put all of your eggs in one basket! Thanks Lynn and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. Oh I love your granddaddy's saying. I might start using it myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do use them Lisa! Thanks and thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Except for "handier than a pocket", these are all new to me. I do remember when we asked about going someplace my Dad didn't think we should, he would say, "it's too far and snaky."
    One of my favorites was, "he's busier than a one legged man at a butt-kicking contest." my dad didn't say that - its just something I heard a few years ago..
    Love all yours and the explanations. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you have shared one with me that I hadn't heard, "it's too far and snarky" is new to me, but I love it! Wish that I had heard it when I was raising a teenager! Thank you so much for sharing it with me Nonnie! Thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. Other than "that just beats all" I don't think I've heard any of these...but my mom and dad...who were from the south...had several
    "run around like a chicken with your head cut off"
    "stoved up"
    "purtier than a speckled hound dog, under a little red wagon"
    many many more...
    thanks for this post...I like to remember stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really are a lot of them and they are different from area to area. Thanks for visiting Sharon!!!

      Delete
  6. Melanie- What a great post. I love those old sayings, too. We had several in the area I grew up, too. My favorite from my father was: A wise man keeps his own council...in other words don't be looking to anyone for advice or be telling your secrets.

    For some reason your new posts have not been popping up on my sidebar and when I saw your comment I realized that. I tried deleting it and entering again to see if that works. I'll keep a watch this time. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good one Diana! I have heard it many times and there is wisdom in that one too!

      Have had a simialr thing happen to me with someone else's blog. It worked itself our after a time. Maybe this will too. Thanks for visiting, it is always a pleasure to see that yoi have been here!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!