Thursday, August 15, 2013

An Old Farmhouse Chest of Drawers

The day we looked at this old farmhouse, I knew that there were things that this lovely old home needed. A 3 drawer dresser was one of those things. Not a new reproduction, or a fine antique, but a piece that had seen much use. A piece that could be painted and would probably be imperfect.
 
 
This dresser was located in a local shop, it was my version of perfect. It had been painted an awful shade of brown and looked rather sad sitting in a corner, forgotten and neglected. It appeared to have been stored for a long period of time and was in desperate need of a good cleaning and some tender loving care. This piece came home with me that day.
 
 
The piece was cleaned and painted. It was glazed and some of the paint was sanded off. It doesn't seem right to say that it was distressed. Time had done that job for me. I then waxed this dresser and stood back, realizing that it would need hardware as the original hardware was missing.
 
 
My intention was to age the new hardware, as you can tell that hasn't happened yet. It is a future project.
 
 
The chest of drawers sat in my dining room for a time, then was moved upstairs to a bedroom.
 
 
There were no keys with this piece and I wondered what had been stored inside? What treasures had this chest held at one time?
 
 
I will never know the answers to those questions, so my imagination will have to create the answers.
 
 
This dresser could not have things on top that were brand new, it begged for time worn items. Things that were once loved by someone.
 
 
A tattered dresser scarf was put down first. Handmade by someone unknown long ago and once loved, it is loved and used once again.
 
 
An old hand bag rests on the corner. Some of the beads are missing and it is stained. It was once loved and carried by a lady, sadly this stained and forgotten hand bag was carried to the flea market, where I found it. It's imperfections make it perfect now and it is respectable once again.
 
 
Things that were once unloved now have a place here in this old farmhouse. That was how the residents of this area lived. They kept their things and used them in spite of their imperfections. Their homes were comfortable, clean and welcoming. I know this because it is how my family lived, I am a descendant of those old farmers and remember the things in my grandparents homes.
 
 
Posted by Picasa
Perfectly imperfect was the style. It was comfortable, inviting, imperfect and it was home in the most comforting sense sense of the word. The place we long for as adults and the place we played for hours as children. It is the style I love and work hard to create in this lovely old farmhouse. Imperfections are not only welcomed, but encouraged here!

Linking to

From My Front Porch to Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday

StoneGable for Tutorials Tips and Tidbits

A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday

Have A Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson for Share Your Cup Thursday


 

20 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn, I am glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. What a sweet piece-I love the color and especially the style of it. Perfectly imperfect is right- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana! When I saw it, I knew that it had to come home with me! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Melanie--
    loved this post. It rings true with me too. I love pieces that have an obvious story to tell, whatever it may be.
    I like the color on your dresser and the odds and ends on top!
    Looks perfect where it stands.
    I even like the hardware and wouldn't change it. ;) Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat! They are odds and ends from here and there, picked up at yard sales and flea markets. The hardware is not in any danger of being changed anytime soon! It may stay that way for awhile, but who knows, one day I may look at it and then........

      Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. This is a gorgeous color! I love it! You did an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Khammany! It was fun to do! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. Hi Melanie,
    I think your chest is handsome, and I wouldn't even age the hardware, either. Looks just about perfect to me. I am on the hunt for a chest for our guest bedroom because I desperately need the storage. Hope I run across one like yours soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! Those short 3 and 4 drawer chests are hard to find here, hope you have good luck findng one! The extra storage is great to have! I am thinking now that I will not age that hardware since I have gotten a couple of comments on it. Hope you find that perfect one soon! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  6. Cool color... So cute... I love the flowery clock... Thanks for sharing. Have a nice day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you have a great day too!

      Delete
  7. Wow, the dresser is beautiful!!!!! You did a beautiful job in painting it.... the color is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dolores! Glad that you like it! I knew that this old farmhouse needed it! Thank for visiting!!!

      Delete
  8. It's lovely. What color paint did you use? I really like the color with the distressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily! It is a Martha Stewart color, the name is Ducks Egg. The glaze was from Home Depot, it was Ralph Lauren color, they don't carry this line anymore but should still be able to mix it up for you. If you need more info let me know. Thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  9. I am another lover of imperfections. It's what makes each piece unique. Love the 3 drawer dresser makeover. I just made over an armoire that I have had for years. Painted it a similar color. Each item that you chose to adorn the top was perfect. I have a beaded handbag like that in the dress up closet. Thanks for sharing her beauty with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, unique and lovely! I like that term "lover of imperfections", those imperfections create a comfortable style for a home. Those beaded handbags make me wonder what kind of evenings out they have seen? One of those moments that I wish I could take a peek back into their past. Thanks Jann and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  10. The dresser's lines are perfect - you're right about finding just the right piece and not a reproduction - love the color and the patina you've produced! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! I was so happy when I found this piece. It was fun to work on. Thanks for visiting and having a look at my "treasure"!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!