Monday, August 19, 2013

Monday Musing - Unbelievable Compassion

 
Posted by Picasa

There are moments when the actions of these animals amaze us. Their actions can be unbelievable. Such is the story of Jack and Jackie.

Jackie is a cat, and a pretty amazing cat at that. Jack is a young rooster, and was supposed to be a hen. Jack was attacked by another chicken. When we found him, his face was covered with blood and one eye was closed. We cleaned him up, doctored his wounds and isolated him. I did not feel hopeful that he would recover. Jackie watched me clean and care for his wounds. She sniffed his face gently. She knew Jack was injured and would need care.

The next morning he was still alive, but both eyes were shut. Jackie jumped up into the pen to check things out. She purred loudly and sniffed his face. Jack had to be hand fed and watered. What would I do with a blind rooster I wondered?

The next day Jack was placed on the ground, I talked to him so he was safe. We were afraid that Jack would need to learn how to live as a blind rooster. He listened to the sound of my voice and if I quit speaking, Jack turned his head trying to find the sound again. Jackie stood beside Jack, maintaining contact the entire time. She guided Jack as he walked. Jack did not mind and seemed to appreciate her company.

Jack improved and was able to open his left eye. He was then able to see his helper and realized she was a cat! He appeared to think about it for a moment, but decided that it would be okay for Jackie to continue to help him. They were friends despite their differences. The pair walked side by side in the yard. Jackie took her duties seriously and kept a check on Jack when he was in his pen.

Jack regained sight in his right eye and Jackie’s help was no longer needed. Jackie realized this and began to keep her distance from Jack; he is after all a rooster. Her job was finished. The pair remains friends, but from a distance now. Jackie showed compassion for an injured animal and cared for him the best way that she could. This story was amazing for us to watch and we were reminded that animals are as amazing as we will allow them to become.

12 comments:

  1. There are so many amazing stories like yours especially on farms it seems-did you ever see the Crow and the kitten video that circulated a few years back, it was heart touching like your Jack and Jackie. Sweet life lesson here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sweet life lessons int both stories! If I hadn't seen this one, I wouldn't have believed it! Thanks Lynn and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. Touching... extraordinary friendship. We should learn from Jackie and Jack. We can live in peace, although we have a lot of diferences. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed. thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Oh, this just warmed my heart! I'm almost in tears, it's so sweet! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan!! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own 2 eyes! Jackie is a sweet gal though, guess that I shouldn't have been surprised! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. I love stories like this. Animals are truly amazing. I had a cat that was mine & mostly ignored my husband. On the day that our 16 year old dog died my husband was really sad. My cat suddenly jumped up on his lap & stayed there for the next several hours. Now he rarely sits in my lap but almost always spends an hour or so in husband's each night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are! Love hearing stories like this! They can show an amazing amount of compassion towards others! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful story. Animals are truly amazing creatures, aren't they? It is hard to believe those things unless you see them yourself! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so rignt, I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it! Thanks for visiting Diana!

      Delete
  6. This is such a precious story :) My parents have a cat and rabbit and they act like "brothers" and tend to take care of each other - it is so sweet to watch. Have a lovely day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! That is amazing! It must be fun to see them take care of each other. Animals, when given the chance, will be awesomely amazing! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!