Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Porch Progress and a Hint

We are finally at the stage where we can see progress on the porch! Yippee! Woo Hoo!
 
The ceiling has been painted a shade of pale sky blue.
 
 
The shutters have been scraped and will be repainted.
 
 
I am loving this blue ceiling. There is a reason for choosing blue. There was a time that porch ceilings were painted blue. Wasps were supposed to think it was the sky, and would not build a nest on the porch. True or not, I don't know, but I loved the idea of a blue ceiling!
 
 
 
There is also the story of "haint blue". Painting the porch ceiling and a room in an old house was done to prevent "haints" from inhabiting a house. Haint blue is a darker blue than the color we chose.
 
Now with all that work being done to the front porch, I couldn't just put the same old furniture back on the porch. The furniture needed freshening up and little something extra added. Here is a hint below.
 

 
Posted by Picasa
The lady that lived here when I was a child loved daffodils. There will be a nod to "Miss" Birdie on the porch. More to come later on porch progress!

The rain has prevented the porch from being finished, but now after seeing the ceiling, I feel like there is an end in sight!

10 comments:

  1. FANTASTIC I too love that ceiling, and 'haints'? can't wait to see the furniture and the done job, beautiful coloured shutters. Youpi for the progress :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so ready for thia to be finished! This project has taken longer than we had expected, so happy for the progress!! Thanks Lynn and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. I love a blue ceiling on the porch. Ours is blue, painted that way by the previous owners. I wonder if that is why? I've never heard these ideas on the haints or wasps.
    love the porch so far... we're still painting the house too. Not because of rain-but $$$. Hope to finish it this month. Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it deters the wasps from building their nest on the porch, the haints, well I am not worried about them! LOL! Painting is a huge job! Hoping that you finish yours soon! Thanks Pat and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. I love a blue ceiling too. Progress is being made, yeah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them too, so relaxing! Can't wait to sit under this one with a glass of iced tea! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
    2. Reminds me of the beautiful historic homes of Charleston.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Lisa! That is a huge compliment! Thanks for visiring Lisa, it is always good to see you here!

      Delete
  4. Your porch is looking beautiful. Love a blue ceiling on a porch. It does keep the "haints" away- I never had a haunting at any house I lived in that had a blue ceiling on the porch-so it must have worked!;>) xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughed so hard when I read your comment!!! Maybe they knew that one day we would paint the ceiling blue and that is why then haven't bothered with us! You and I can say that it does work then! So funny! Thanks for the smile, laugh, visit and the comment!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!