Thursday, September 26, 2013

49 Years Ago Today

49 years ago today, my parents were married.
 
 
 

Mama came home from college and married Daddy. Her heart remained with him the entire time she was away. She missed him terribly and couldn't stand being away from Daddy. They were married a few months after Mama came home.
 
 

There would be happy times and sad times, children and grandchildren, they would build a life together. A life that included bad crop years, a couple of business ventures, the remodel of a home, the loss of parents and other treasured loved ones and the difficult and fun times together that they shared. They chose to remain married, no matter what. They would spend 48 years together.

9 years ago today, we gave them a 40th anniversary party. I contacted friends from that period of their lives and some were there for the party! The cake was a replica of the wedding cake and pictures of their wedding and the announcement were on display. I wanted this to be a day filled with precious memories of a special day for them.
 
 
Posted by Picasa
The whole time that this party was being planned, I couldn't shake the feeling that there would not be a 50th anniversary. I do not regret giving them this party and am so glad that I did now!

 

8 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to your parents. That's a long time married! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama says that it was not long enough, she misses him terribly. Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, found myself wishing that he was still here to celebrate thhis day. Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. Your post remind me to my parent wedding. Next November is the 50th anniversary for the wedding. But I'm so sorry, my mother passed away two years ago. Congratulation for your parent wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww...this was so touching, dear Melanie! I can imagine how glad and thankful you are that you threw them the special anniversary when you did. Blessings to you and big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie! Guess that I wrote this becuse I have been really missing him lately! This was an important time of year for Daddy. He was busy becuase cotton was ready or getting ready to be harvested. He loved this time of year. Yes, I am glad that I did it, it was an opportunity to see some precious faces from the past. Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!