Monday, September 2, 2013

Another Appliance Bites The Dust


There are losses that are inevitable in our lives. Time and regular usage is not always kind to our favorite appliances and the moment must come to say goodbye to our faithful favorites.  Such was the case last week with my 30 year old trusty little hand mixer. Betty fought a good fight and performed well for those years.

Last week, I decided that my husband would be surprised with one of his favorite desserts, tiramisu. I grabbed my faithful friend and we began whipping the cream, and there was a funny sound. I looked down and saw a spark and smelled smoke. My heart sank and tears filled my eyes. I knew that this was the end of a beautiful and tasty relationship. My trusty stand mixer stood proudly by, and finished the job of whipping the cream for me. Kevin would have his Tiramisu.

Betty and I have an extensive history; she was with me as I began my culinary journey as a young wife. Betty was patient as I learned, never once complaining about my lack of skill. Betty was with me as I graduated from the boxed cake mixes, to the scratch cakes. She was there as I perfected my special birthday cake and icing. We made the pumpkin chiffon each year and Katie’s Favorite Chocolate Cake too. She has helped me make the whipped cream and beat the egg whites for the meringue. She was there for my failures and successes, never pointing out my mistakes. Betty simply did her job.

Another hand mixer has been secured, but she will not replace Betty! No mixer could, not even my sturdy stand mixer Sunny. Betty welcomed her appearance in my kitchen, she was older when Sunny came along. Betty was content to let Sunny perform the heavier chores.

There is sadness in my kitchen now. Betty is no longer able to help. What do I do with the now elictricityless body? Throwing her into the trash seems such a cruel thing to do to her. Keeping her is a waste of space. We were friends and this is a tragedy!

Betty’s replacement is waiting to help out. We have an adventure ahead of us. There is a cookbook that I want, and will need the assistance of a hand mixer if I am to meet the challenges ahead. A new adventure is waiting for us.

6 comments:

  1. Awww...I'm so sorry about Betty :( She sounds like she was a trusty "appliance" in your kitchen. May you have a lovely Labor Day :) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a trusty appliance, we made beautiful sweets together! LOL! Thanks Stepahnie and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. Was Betty a Hamilton Beach? I received two of those in 1970 and still have and constantly use the one that continues to work. The beat goes on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me laugh Nonnie! Betty was a GE. I don't blame you, keep using that mixer as long as it will do the job for you! Thanks Nonnie and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. Melanie, I have been catching up with you by reading several posts. Betty's replacement will never live up to her standards because they just don't make them like they used to! Betty served you well, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Jane! They just don't make them like Betty anyomore! There are some things that only another gal will understand and the loss of Betty is one of those things! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!