Thursday, September 19, 2013

Farm Junk Table Runner

Summer is almost gone and I am wondering what happened! I do love the cooler days and look forward to this time of year, it seems that summer came and went so quickly this year.
 
I decided to do a bit of changing up in the dining room. This room is difficult to take pictures in because of the lack of light. The problem could not be the inexperienced photographer that still doesn't know enough about the camera.
 
 
This time of year was always so busy for Daddy. Crops were almost ready to be harvested. There was a lot to do!
 
 
Admittedly, I am missing him an awful lot here lately. So I decided that if I wanted to change things up in the dining room, then I would use some of his things. It is not as good as having him here with me, but it is the closest that I can get for now. I wondered what he would think and say if he saw this table. He was probably ask me why I have this stuff on the table.
 
 
I got a board out of the shed and it was the perfect length for a runner.
 
 
When the time came to clean out the Daddy's shop, I wanted some old rusty things. I opened the box I had brought home last winter and found some washers, an old rusty spring among other odds and ends.
 
 
Daddy saved everything! He grew up during the depression and knew what it was like to do without, so he saved everything because "you might need it one day".
 
 
These forgotten rusty items will not be needed by Daddy anymore, but I like looking at them on the dining room table. I added a few doilies because I love the rust against the pretty doilies.
 
 
Now I needed some "new" place mats. I went to the feed store and got a couple of croker sacks. The material was cut into place mat sizes and the edges were frayed. I did not make perfectly straight lines on purpose. have you ever noticed how difficult it is to cut imperfect lines on purpose?
 
 
These napkins were already on hand, I liked the color and thought it would go well with the display. The napkin rings are simply metal washers.
 
 
This is the front of one of the bags, I loved it and will have to find the perfect use for it!
 
 
Posted by Picasa
Daddy would laugh and then tell me to get that rusty stuff off of the table! I love the way it looks and the sweet memories that it brings to mind.

Linking to

Stone Gable Cottage for Tutorials Tips and Tidbits

From My Front Porch To Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday

Deborah Jean's Dandelion House for Farmgirl Friday

 Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Night Special

Have A Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson for Share Your Cup Thursday

14 comments:

  1. I absolutely love old farm implements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have so many interesting uses don't they? Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. It looks great! Your dad is probably smiling down at you right now. I love having things from family member( those still around and those gone.) around my house. For me it makes my house a true home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I like having those things around too and yes, it does help to make a house a home. Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. Makes for a very farmlike table display--love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy! Glad you liked it! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. I like this a lot. It is a wonderful nod to your Daddy.
    Missing my Mom today...gone 14 years, now.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat! I guess that we never stop missing them! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. It looks so nice and I am glad it brings back happy memories to you- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana for the compliment! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  6. The soft and pretty combined with strong and industrial makes an artistic and dramatic statement. Love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! So glad you liked it! Thank you for your kind words and all of the kind words that you send my way! I appreciate them very much! Thank you for visiting me!!!

      Delete
  7. What a sweet tribute to your dad Melanie. I love the tidbits of rust! I need my hubby to read this. We cleaned our garage on Sat. and there were lots of odds and ends of rusty things that I had brought home from my sisters to sale at a Vintage yard sale. We sold a lot, but still had some. Hubby thought it should all go in the trash. I wasn't having it. He picked up and old spring and I said, "Oh, I want that!" He said, "obviously I don't know what's good and what's junk. " Obviously! lol! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jann! Oh no! You can't throw it away, I wouldn't have it either! That was funny, but tell hubby one man's trash could be another woman's treasure! Rusty springs are cool aren't they? Thanks for hosting SYC! It is always fun! Thanks for visiting me!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!