Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A Confession, Curtains and a Question

My Confession - I am not organized. Ouch that hurt! Really I am a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl most of the time. There are other bloggers that are participating in this 31 Day challenge and they knew exactly which post would go up on each day. That isn't me. I tell you this because yesterday I said that I would show you some more of my sewing projects. The truth is that I can't because I haven't finished them yet. My only option was to admit that I am unorganized and haven't gotten them finished yet. Or work until the wee hours and put my post up late. It really isn't my fault, the sun is shining and it is pretty outside, a little windy, but pretty. So there it is, now you know the truth.
 
I decided to show you a couple of things that I picked up at the Peanut Pickin Yard Sale. The Curtains below called out to me, I was powerless to resist. My kitchen was yellow and blue. These curtains are not yellow and blue. Maybe it was time for a change.
 
The curtain rod is no longer straight. That is because the previous curtains were longer and a certain cat (I won't tell you his name, but it starts with an A and ends with tticus) decided to try climbing when he was younger. Guess that it is time to buy new ones.
 

 
The pictures below were at the same yard sale. I loved the soft green mat and the picture inside. It is a change. I always seem to return to my blue things and that is fine. This is a change for now. There is something different to look at in the kitchen.
 
 
Now for the Question - We moved the chimney cabinet beside the refrigerator. Originally we thought that it would be a great idea to put a cabinet beside and over the refrigerator. You can read about the chimney cabinet here.
 
 
 
 
Now we really notice this space that looks very blank over the refrigerator. What would you do? Should super handy dandy husband build a cabinet over the refrigerator? Should I simply place something large on top? Ugh, what to do? Remember that this is an old farm house. Wood floors and everything.

 
Posted by Picasa
I am stuck and can't decide which way to go. Tell me what you think.

Linked to

the nester for 31 Days 2013

10 comments:

  1. OOh! I love the chimney cabinet there.
    Do you need storage? If so...then put a cabinet there. I had a bunch of space over my fridge and used some pressed wood cubes and made cabinets and corbels underneath ...I like having them there, it draws the eye up.
    I must say... DON'T FEEL BAD about not finishing things. I've never shown a before and after of my fridge area...because, I didn't finish my cabinets either. :/ But they are functioning just fine without trim! LOL. Maybe one day, they'll have trim at the top and chicken wire on the front like I envisioned originally.
    As to having a plan to write each post. Nope! not me. I write how it comes. I only have a few posts written and scheduled ahead of time.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An old house always needs more storage!!! Love the chicken wire idea Pat! I find that I have finished a lot of things during this challenge, just not as much as I would have liked to have finished. Very gald that I took on this challenge! Thank you Pat! I read about this challenge at your blog, thank you fro sharing and thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. Storage area is of course logical, I'd fill it with plants. I never prepare my posts beforehand tho I often think this a good idea, I am now doing my photos the day before but this often changes the morning I sit down here..I love those curtains and the sloping rod is fine ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considered a big container of ivy, still thinking though. Glad that I am not the only one who doesn't prepare their posts in advance. I have ideas that are floating around in my head and that is what I choose from. I write my columns the same way. Sometimes I make a list when too many are floating around up there. Organization has never been my strong point, it takes effort. That rod would not be sloping if he jumped on it now, it would break quickly! Thank you Lynn and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. I'm super excited! Love the curtains and the pictures. Great colors! That chimney cabinets is amazing and GREAT! To make the look work better, I would consider putting 2 or 3 long open shelves above the refrigerator. 1-2" thick so they are strong and thick looking. This is a great typical farmhouse look. You might visit Knick of Time for a tour of her house:http://knickoftimeinteriors.blogspot.com/p/our-home.html she has a great farmhouse style kitchen and could trigger some great inspiration!! Can't wait to see what you do!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle, I will visit her blog and have a look around. Had not considered open shelves, but like that idea! I was excited to find that chimney cabinet. It reminded me of the one my grandparents had in their home. Thank you Michelle and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. Don't condemn yourself about not being organized. I admire all the work you have done and love your country look. Not being a decorator, I don't know what to tell you about the fridge. It seems if you had a cabinet or shelves, you would need to store things you don't need to reach very often. My fridge has my glass cake chest, a huge decorative bowl given to me, a flower arrangement, and a perpetual calendar. They are things I like, but don't need very often.

    Love the cabinet beside the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nonnie! Sometimes I think we are our own worst critics! Thank you for visiting me!!!

      Delete
  5. What about open shelves holding collectable. My friend Jacki has shelves running up one of her kitchen walls. That's where she keeps her nice pitches ,bowls, cook books, and things she doesn't use often.. I love the look it gives the kitchen..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Open shelves would be easy to construct too. Great idea Michelle. Thank you and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!