Friday, October 18, 2013

A Look Back at the Fall of 2011

 
Today has been busy with this and that, some things took me away from the house today. I decided to take a look back at the Fall of 2011 and see what had changed since then.
 
2 years ago, Abigail came to live with us. I found her on the back porch. Abby is crippled, she didn't get there by herself. I look at the picture below and her face is still as sweet as it looks right there! Abby is shy and we let Abby just be Abby. She is healthy and loved. Maybe she can't run and walk the same way other cats do, but she sure knows how to purr and enjoy a good scratching behind the ears!
 
The dining room has changed since then. The china cabinet has been moved. I am still pleased with this cabinet and the table and chairs.
 
 
Fall decorating is always a part of fall and 2011 was no exception.
 
 
My Mama's dishes are pretty any time of year, but in the fall they are even prettier! This is my favorite set.
 
 
This picture of Clover was there. She was the first goat that we ever had.
 
 
Doc lived with us then.
 
 
This picture of Daddy was there too. He looks like he is about to tell us something. When this picture was taken, we were going there everyday. We would get him to the table for supper and take care of the evening things. There were moments when he was clear and it seemed as if Alzheimer's was only a bad dream. Then as quickly as the clarity came, it was gone. Those were difficult days.
 
 
Posted by Picasa
Things have changed since then. Some changes are improvements and some changes are sad. The sad changes remind me of the things that I am grateful for. I was a fortunate girl to have a Daddy like mine! I remember the laughs we had and I am grateful for each one. There are many things that I could list that I am grateful for. I choose to remember the example he set for me as to how my life should be lived. The instructions are there in our Bible! When I look back, I am able to smile. Sometimes it is  through the tears, but I smile and am thankful for his example.

Linked to

the nester for 31 Days 2013

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. Reminds me of life's sweet blessings, and how bittersweet our memories really are. *hugs*!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The experience will always remind me to cherish what I have here and now! Thank you for your kind words Michelle! As always, thank you so much for visiting me! So glad I have had the opportunity to get to "know" you!

      Delete
  2. Each time I read of another families experience with a family member suffering/or who has suffered from Alzheimer's I realize how prevalent it is in all of our societies, a nasty thing to have happen to our brrains...your Dad does look as if he is about to say something or as if he is going to break out in a big grin..lovely shot of him. Touching post Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, the statistics are sickening and shocking to say the least. None of us are immune. It is a scary disease.

      It is almost as if you knew him! You are someone he would have liked hearing about. Yes, break out in a big grin is a good description! You made me smile just to think about that! Thank you friend and thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. Earlier this year I lost a favorite uncle to an illness. His daughter recently post video of his last days. This was upsetting to me and especially to my mom. We also prefer to remember those happy times spent with him! Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy I have to think about the good times and remember where he is now. I focus on the blessings instead of the hard times. Hugs to you! Thank you and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. Melanie,
    What lovely fall photos. And I just LOVE that china cabinet. China tea cups and tea pots are one of my weaknesses. :) Your dad looks like someone you loved - a lot! And yes, that "Awful A" is a terrible disease.
    Hope your fall day today is wonderful. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marsha! He still is someone that I love! The Awful A can't stop that! It may have taken and affected ,many things, but it can't change or take that away from me! Thank you Marsh and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!