Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Completed Projects

It felt good to type that! We didn't finish every project, there are still a few things that we want to do. We wanted to paint the kitchen, that was completed, with the exception of giving the cabinets a fresh coat of paint. That will come this weekend. The paint color for the walls is a soft yellow. The trim is white and the cabinets will be white again.
 

 
Yesterday afternoon when these pictures were taken, I looked at the wall above the stove and thought that a sign would look great up there. Wish that I had thought about that earlier this month! How boring would life be if there were no projects to look forward to?

Looking at the counters and above the cabinets, everything looks cluttered. It does not look that way when I am standing in the kitchen. Perhaps some editing should happen this weekend.
 
 
Last year my husband put up bead board above the counters. We were pleased with the look and it was amazingly inexpensive to do. He used a sheet of bead board that he cut to fit and put some molding at the top and bottom of the bead board. We may have $25 in that project if we have that much.
 
 
Handy Husband built a shelf to go over the top of the stove using some scrap lumber he had on hand last year. He always amazes me with the things that he has or learns to do!

The back splash is new and is another inexpensive completed project.
 
 
The curtains are semi-new. I did want something different and found these the weekend of the Peanut Pickin Yard Sale. They looked and smelled brand new. Yes, I smelled them. My kitchen has been blue and yellow for so long, I wanted a bit of a change. Slowly the blue is leaving and the soft greens are taking their place.
 
 
My kitchen island is simply an old found sewing machine base that was topped with a piece of wood that Daddy had in the barn. It did get a coat of black spray paint. The bowl that sits on top holds potholders and recipe books are in the basket below. The floors are original to the house. I love the time worn imperfections that are there.
 
 
The screen door was painted red. If you look in the bottom left hand corner, there is a peeping tomette looking in! It is just Lucy.
 
 
Posted by Picasa
The cabinets will not get painted before this month ends, but we plan to do that this weekend. The kitchen did get a good cleaning, every piece of furniture and appliance was moved. The walls, ceiling and trim were painted and the back porch has been painted and the floor replaced. There is always plenty more that I will want to do to any room. What is finished?

Almost one month ago I decided to take on this challenge and I am very glad that I did. There were times that it was hard and it seems as if the moment you make a plan to do something, anything that can go wrong will definitely go wrong! Unexpected problems happen at the most inconvenient times. Is that some kind of law? A window was broken and we are working on how to replace it. There was a plumbing issue that has been taken care of and we had a scare that required a visit from the electrician. Fortunately it was only a scare and everything was fine. The porch was not completed as quickly as I wanted, but it is done now. We stuck to it and kept working. I have written every day this month, in spite of unexpected events and people in our home. The results were worth it to us.


Linked to

the nester for 31 Days 2013

14 comments:

  1. LOL- That is called Murphy's Law. If anything CAN go wrong-it WILL! You have done a great job so far- Hope you have a good Wednesday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana! Murphy's Law was working overtime here. LOL! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. It is wonderful to say you have completed projects.
    I for one have never seen a painting marathon in action! But by golly... y'all have painted haven't you?!
    I love your kitchen. I also have time worn floors through out my home... They don't get refreshed very often.
    This month will soon be over...but there are still and always will be, I suppose. Projects.
    It has been fun, hasn't it?
    Problems and all...and think, You documented your projects. Who knows in the future, you might need to know when the last time the electrician was there. You can wait a minute...it was in October 2013!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems as if there is still so much painting to do though! Guess that it is always like that with an old home. Glad you like the kitchen, I think that the floors are my favorite part of the kitchen. When a mess happens, there is no reason to get upset. Yes, projects will always be around and when I finish one, I seem to add more to my list. It was fun! I am glad that I did this! You are right, I have documented things, so I will not have to remember everything! Thanks Pat, reading your blog is how I learned about the 31 Days. It was some much needed motivation and a challenge that was needed too! Thank you again and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! Love your kitchen island!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometimes I wish that I had something with drawers. But I do like the look of that one. Guess that it is asfe to say that it is staying put! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you took the challenge! Your visits every day have kept me motivated and plugging along when they otherwise might not have been. Your kitchen looks wonderful!!! I'm so excited for you and am hoping this is just the beginning of a very long friendship! *hugs*!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too Michelle! You kept me motivated too! Glad that you like it and I hope that it is the beginning of a long friendship too!!! Thank you and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. October seems to be the nesting month for many of us... I did a mini re-do of our bedroom which I'll show a little bit of on Friday.

    Your kitchen is a dream and I love that shelf above the stove. I must get hubby to put one up for me~ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem to be that way Nancy, I guess that we are getting ready for winter and that is one of the reasons that we do that. I look forward to seeing your re do this Friday! My husband was glad that you liked the shelf! I merely requested that he build it, all of the credit goes to him! Thanks Nancy and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  6. Your kitchen looks great. We used that same tin for a back splash for our kitchen. I love the way it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! It makes a huge difference for a small amount of cash. Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  7. Your kitchen is simply charming and I am sure it's easy to spend a great deal of time there :) Thanks for sharing with us and may you have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie! It is just a comfortable old farmhouse kitchen. Thank you and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!