Thursday, October 31, 2013

Day 31 of Getting It Done

This is an outside shot of the red screen door. The wood door still needs some love though.
 
 
The door is original to the house and the exterior of the door has never been painted. I specifically requested that the painters not paint the exterior of this door. It will get rubbed with a some Linseed Oil.
 
This morning I was thinking about this challenge and was a bit discouraged because everything was not absolutely completely finished. Then I remembered where I was on September 30. The back porch was nowhere near complete. However when you are dealing with someone else doing the work, you can find yourself at their mercy. The laundry room, kitchen and bath were in need of painting. My husband has painted the walls, ceiling and trim of the kitchen and laundry rooms now. We did not have a pantry area and there were incomplete projects that were bothering me. The porch is now in use again too.
 
October 31 is a different story. The bath has not gotten a fresh coat of paint and the cabinets in the kitchen and laundry room still need painting, but they will get done. Projects have been completed and I can see that there will be an end to some of these projects. My kitchen, laundry/pantry and back porch are now places that I can smile about. These projects are now in a place that I can see an end.
 
 
This is an old farmhouse and we both love that. I have worked to fill our home with items that we loved. The Hoosier cabinet and the chimney cabinet in the picture above are two of those loved things. My grandparents had things like this in their kitchen. It doesn't matter who these items once belonged to, they remind me of my grandparents and happy memories. This is what makes a house, a home to us.
 
 
This corner cabinet was once an 80's eyesore. You can read about it here. It was painted white and the inside of the shelf was painted the same color as the walls. There was once a door on the bottom with a heart cut out in the center. It was quite lovely in the 80's! Maybe it was never pretty, maybe my friend V and I just thought it was pretty.

My husband cut the center out and placed chicken wire in the center. This corner shelf has regained respectability now. The shelf was painted earlier this simmer. This challenge made me want to make sure that it was finished. We simply added the chicken wire and hung the door back on. It was not finished because I had misplaced the hardware. We purchased more, the door was rehung and later that afternoon I found the hardware. Isn't that the way it goes?
 
 
The table in my kitchen belonged to my Gran. There are many happy memories that were made around that table. It is a simple table with simple chairs. Gran taught us that happiness did not require loads of money, it was where and how you made it.
 
 
The pantry area did not exist at the start of this project. I used 2 shelves that my husband had built. They were painted white and lined with a pretty black and white contact paper. It is easy to wipe clean. We recycled an old microwave cart and used it for storage and hung a set of shelves over it. The bottom shelf holds cake decorating supplies. I used plastic containers from the dollar store to sort things and bring a bit of order to my supplies. Now I can easily find what I am looking for. The curtains hide grocery items and other items that I did not have room for in the kitchen.
 
 
The curtains were made with a black table cloth. I wanted to add something to it to keep it from looking so bland. I had picked up this material at the thrift store, it was waiting for an opportunity to be used. I sewed a border on the cloth and think that it does look better now.
 
 
Posted by Picasa
I had imagined that every project would be complete on October 31. That did not happen, but I am not discouraged one bit. This was a needed boost.

Life has a way of handing us things that we never would have wanted or asked for. We have to decide how we will choose to deal with those difficulties and recognize an opportunity when we see it. I am glad that I saw this opportunity.

Finishing some things was a benefit, but not the most important benefit I received. I made a new friend, that alone was worth the work. I was encouraged by the comments that were left here. I enjoyed the journey.

Thanks Pat from Corn in my Coffee Pot for posting about this challenge. Thanks to the nester at the nesting place for hosting this challenge. You are right, it doesn't have to be perfect in order to be beautiful.
Thank you Michelle from Shelstring blog for reminding me to enjoy the journey. I learned from each of you! You can read their stories by clicking the link provided, it was a pleasure to read about their challenge! Blogging has brought some amazing people into my life and I am grateful for these ladies.

I will continue to work and finish these projects, this was just what I needed to get some things done. Perhaps I didn't get it all done, but we got an enormous amount done. I hope that you will continue to read and follow me on this journey!

Linked to

the nester for 31 Days 2013

14 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie, WOW it sure looks like you have done a lot to complete your home. Everything takes time but eventually comes together. I love your style and it is easy to see you have a good eye for the end result.
    Your should be proud of all you have accomplished. Love the table area and the plate rack with the blue and white is a favorite.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It seems that everything does take so much time! Thank you for your kind words! They are appreciated very much! Thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. You really DID get a lot done, though-even if you didn;t get it all done. Great job and you will have some time to work on it in November, too- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana! It will get done, i am now anxious to have it finished. Yes, there will be time in November. i am closer than I was if I had not done anything! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. It sounds to me like you got quite a bit done! I always bite off more than I can chew...expecting to get so much more done than I ever do...but it's ok...it will get done when it gets done...and any step in the right direction always feels great!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guilty of it too, but if I set goals high and aim for the higher goals, I acheive more. When the time limit comes around I find that more has been completed than I realize. As you said it is a step in the right direction. Thank you Sharon and thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. Oops....forget to mention that I love your little white corner cabinet!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The paint made it respectable again!

      Delete
  5. Well, I never knew when I decided to join...that others would join too.
    I never knew or even thought about how many,if any, People would visit my blog as a result. But just like you...I made new friends!
    I find that the best happening in the whole month. :)
    I've certainly enjoyed seeing your projects transformed before our eyes... are there more projects around the corner?! You bet...but they'll get done, one small chunk at a time.
    Me? I'm thrilled to get to sit down! ;)
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the friends were the best part of the month! Yes, there are more porjects for both of us and yes they will get done, one chunk at a time! I know what you mean about sitting down, did not realize how tired I was! Still glad that I did this, it was beneficial to me in many ways. Thanks Pat and thanks for visiting me every day!!!

      Delete
  6. Your grandma was right . Money doesn't matter it's the memoirs.I wanted to let you know I am doing another game/ give away. This time it will be a hidden object game. Hope you can join us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great Michelle, will have to head over to your place and check it out! Thanks and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  7. You are a very busy lady....and get a lot done. Sometimes, I can do the same...other times, I wonder what I do with my time.:)
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often feel as if I am not getting enough done! Thank you BJ and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!