Monday, October 14, 2013

Monday Musing - A Blue Porch Ceiling

 
Posted by Picasa


The front and side porch have recently been painted here. It is lovely to us as we both enjoy time on the porch. Coffee seems to taste better on the porch for some reason. I have seen shades of blue and green used on porches all of my life. I remember “Miss” Ida Mae used a similar color on her porch ceiling, as did others in this community. The color brings back childhood memories of a precious lady that I enjoyed being around.

The porch ceiling on our home was painted Haint Blue which is not a particular color, but a range of colors. The hues range from the darker blues, to sky blues and blue greens. There are of course the myths associated with these colors. Some believe that it keeps the “haints” away. We haven’t had a problem with haints. My beliefs provide the foundation that keeps my imagination from running wild.

There is the idea that a blue ceiling fools insects into believing that it is the sky and the offensive little pests will not make a nest or web on the ceiling. I liked that idea, but would it work? There would have to be some research on this subject. It turns out that it was the type of paint and not the color that repelled insects. A milk paint would have been used that contained lime or lye in days past. This kept the insects away.  Those stinging creatures will not be afraid to build their homes on our porch now.

The most important reason to use blue for the ceiling was that it made us smile. It is a peaceful color and is associated with happy memories. The place that you call home should welcome you when you come back to it and make you smile while you’re there. It is the place where you will create the daily events that will eventually become memories. You may never know it, but the things that you do affect someone else positively or negatively.

The ceiling isn’t blue to keep the imaginary haints away or the very real stinging insects. The color makes both of us smile, it is calming, and it brings happy memories to mind. A can of paint contains more than we realize. It could be the background for a child’s happy memory. Our daily decisions unintentionally affect others and will have a lasting impact on someone.
Linked to

the nester for 31 Days 2013

16 comments:

  1. beautiful blue ceiling and post..:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn! I appreciate that compliment!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you like it! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. That sounds like the BEST reason. Anytime something makes you smile, it's a keeper in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, that makes it a keeper! Thalnks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. I always loved a blue ceiling on a porch. We had one in two different houses and loved them both. I always heard that it kept "haunts" away, too!;>) xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It must work, we haven't had a haint problem since we painted the porch ceiling, but then again we didn't have a problem before! Thanks for visiting Diana!!!

      Delete
  5. You're right ... our homes should be a haven. Blue is a very happy and peaceful color. I love your porch and hope you enjoy gallons of coffee on it - bug-free!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet Nonnie! Wish that you could come over and enjoy a gallon or two with me! Thanks fro visiting!!!

      Delete
  6. Oh the porch is painted blue!... I wondered about that. It seems like I read your previous post about the Haint Blue...LOL.
    I have bottle trees in my yard...they are supposed to ward of HAINTS AS WELL. But like you-- I don't believe in all that superstitious nonsense. I do believe in God's provision and protection from any such thing. :)
    The lime in the paint would make perfect sense as far as the insects go...
    We didn't get around to finishing up our paint. But it is Texas...and we COULD STILL have lovely days ahead... who knows.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wanted bottle tree They are so pretty! You are so right Pat!

      Hope that you have the lovely days needed to finish the job! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  7. Love your pretty blue porch ceiling! I've heard both tale about the haints and the insects! Hope your weather is lovely and cool so you can enjoy your porch.
    Be a sweetie
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelia! Our weather is cool today! If only I didn't have so much work to do, then I could spend more time on the porch! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  8. Hi Melanie, Your blue porch ceiling is beautiful. Yes, it does make one smile. My hubby and I painted our master bedroom ceiling sky blue several years ago and I also added soft clouds. We love it. When we wake up it is like looking at the sky. I have shared it on my blog before, I may have to post it again sometime.
    I am sure you are enjoying your porch ceiling too. It is so pretty.
    Have a great week.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your ceiling sounds lovely! What a great thing to see first thing in the morning! Thank you and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!