Monday, October 28, 2013

Monday Musing - The Cycle of Life

When my brothers and I were children, Daddy shared stories of his childhood with us. We begged for the stories. There were times that it was a way to prevent going to bed and we believed that we were so smart to come up with this plan. We also believed that our parents did not realize what we were doing.
Telling stories was not a new thing to do with children. Parents have been telling stories to their children for generations. Family history was handed down this way. Would today’s children want to hear the stories, or were we just easily satisfied.
Parents have always faced difficulty raising children and current times have always brought change. The parents that raised my generation had a difficult job in my opinion. They had to prepare us for a world that they may not have always understood. They were preparing us to live in world where Internet access and instant communication are commonplace.
Think about the changes that have occurred in your lifetime, could you explain this to your grandparents? That is a rather scary thought. There will come a time when we are in the shoes of our grandparents and find that the world has changed too fast. Those changes will be hard for us to comprehend.
This makes me very grateful for my upbringing and the knowledge of what doesn’t change. It is the foundation that I cling to as I grow older. We can’t control the changes around us, but it is more important than ever for our children to have this foundation in their young lives.
My parents had no idea that this level of technology would exist. I guess we never really know what kind of world we are preparing our children for.
There is however a certain amount of poetic justice that occurs. Each generation believes that their parents were outdated and out of touch dinosaurs, until they have their own children. Then they become the dinosaurs. I take comfort in the idea that if my own offspring has a child, she will become one of us. Outdated and behind the times, perhaps some things never change.  The saying is true, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Does this mean that I am now old enough to tell the stories too? Whether or not we realize it, we are taking our place in the cycle of life.
 
Linked to
 
the nester for 31 Days 2013


8 comments:

  1. Great post- Yes-things change SO much from generation to generation. All we can do is instill the proper values in the and pray that those values hold in a world that pulls the kids so many ways- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well said Diana! Thank you for your comment! It is difficult for any parent raising kids at any point in time. Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. I'm saving this. It's so profound. I don't want to use the word "worry" but I truly am concerned for our grandchildren's future. We have to, in the cycle of life, trust God that He will guide and protect them as He has us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nonnie! I don't have any grandchildren, but know that the children of today are our future. We all have a reason to show concern for them. Thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Melanie, So well said my friend. I believe in concerns not worry, but it does try and slip in now and again when you see the way the world is headed. Sign on the times I believe. I heard my son make a comment one day, something we would of said, and I thought, well know you are one of us!! LOL Life certainly has a cycle.
    I don't have grandchildren yet either, but I pray when that time comes God lead their path.
    Thank you for these thoughts and truths this morning.
    Have a great week.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do eventually become one of "us" just as we did! Thank you for your kind words and thank you for visiting me!!!

      Delete
  4. So true! As it has been since the beginning of time. Funny how that is. People are people no matter what era. Just style and technologies evolve, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. There is a bit of poetic justice in that the children learn those lessons too. That technology seems to evolve faster than I can keep up sometimes! Thank you Michelle and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!