Monday, November 18, 2013

Monday Musing - Heartbeats


This past Saturday I had the opportunity to attend a breakfast with some of my classmates. Our 30th reunion was the same weekend and I was unable to attend the banquet, so the impromptu breakfast was a must.

Walking into the room, I saw the sweet faces of my friends. The girls greeted each other with squeals of delight. Thirty years disappeared into thin air, and the sweetness of youth reappeared among us. It was as if no time had passed. We may be more mature at this point, but these hearts have remained young.

The field was level, we were each successful in our own way and there is no place for haughtiness on level ground. The questions we all had for each other were how many children, any grandchildren, and where do you live? This is an extraordinary class that has ignored ordinary and embraced reaching higher. We were taught to overcome mundane and have climbed our own ladder yet we remain able to reach across to each other.

Looking around the room, I wanted to hold on to each moment, memorize each face, the sound of their voices and laughter to carry with me. A precious friend said it best when she stated that she was coming to this reunion to be with the people that she grew up with, that knew her and loved her anyway. It was true. We grew up and learned together and sometimes we taught each other.  We have taken our own paths in life, yet we each basked in the company of the ones that knew us in a way that only we understood.

The breakfast quickly turned into lunch and it was time for the small crowd to disperse. My heart did not want to go back to reality, but remain with my classmates inhaling the sweet youth that had momentarily returned to each of us. The laughter once again flowed easily, as if no time had passed and we enjoyed the presence of childhood friends.

 There were secrets shared with the laughter. Sorry they can’t be revealed here or anywhere. I will share a few tidbits: trying on different shoes, Duck Dynasty and a certain classmate needs to upgrade her phone.  A secret is so much better when it comes with a smile and the familiarity that exists among friends. The extraordinary Class of 83 Bobcat heart beats stronger than ever.

 

14 comments:

  1. very sweet post Melanie-reunions can be like stepping into fleece slippers or slipping our hands into flannel lined pockets, warm, familiar and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one was like that exactly! Familiar and so sweet! Thanks Lynn and thanks for visiting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a good writer. I feel like I was there! I am in the class of 1982--haven't moved out of the area though and often see my old friends. That breakfast sounds like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy! I thought that you and I were close in age. Isn't it good to run into old friends? The breakfast was fun. They are such a fun group of people, it was fun to laugh with them again! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. A great moment in time to hold on to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! I am so lgad that I had the opportunity. Thanks for visiting Michelle!!!

      Delete
  5. That sounds fun. It's nice to reunite w/ old friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! Thanks Lisa and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love school reunions....or just getting together with a lot of classmates to share memories, laughs and even tears.
    So glad you had such fun....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never been to a school reunion, did not know what to expect. I am very glad that I did though! Thanks BJ and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  7. Oh, that's so wonderful that you got to reconnect with your former classmates and friends! Great post :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! They are an amazing group it was fun to be with them again! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  8. Great article Melanie! It was great seeing you and the crew. Thanks to Nancy, we shared an awesome weekend together. I really enjoyed everything. We need to get together more often. I am looking forward to seeing everyone on year 35. Until we meet again,. I love you!! Betty wade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty!!! It was awesome to see you too!!! Nancy did a great job! Yes, we do need to get together more often and I am looking forward to that 35th reunion too! I love you too Betty! We are still an awesome class! Thank you precious friend! Thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!