Monday, November 4, 2013

Monday Musing - Time Change

 
Did you set your clock back Saturday night? If you didn’t, then you missed that extra hour of sleep and you will have to wait a whole year before you get the opportunity again. I know this because I managed to miss mine last year. That is one less hour of sleep. When the time sprang forward this past spring, I woke up an hour earlier, so it was like waking up two hours earlier. The total is three hours now and I feel cheated at this point. These hours could really add up over a lifetime.
The reason behind daylight saving time is supposed to be a way to conserve energy, what about the personal energy loss that a time change causes? The time that we have to sleep is precious to most of us. Our bodies must adjust to a different schedule, now we are going to bed an hour earlier. That was probably not good news if you are a child.
This made me wonder who had this not so brilliant idea and why. George Vernon Hudson, an entomologist in New Zealand was one of the men with this idea. He wanted to collect insects in the evenings. Is this the reason that we must struggle with a time change? Have our sleep patterns been disrupted so that this man, who is no longer with us, could collect bugs? Does that make you mad?
There are other reasons for the time change and if you research it you can find that there has been a study done somewhere that will support whichever view you prefer to take. It does not matter if you are for or against the time change, there is a study somewhere to support your point of view.
The fact remains that Daylight Saving Time has ended and your body must adjust to that change. Unless you are Atticus, Ruby Tuesday or Little Peep, then you can enjoy the fact that you are getting fed an hour earlier now. That is fine until springtime and those annoying humans begin to feed an hour later. Their protests are loud, these poor animals can’t understand that a man once wanted to go outside and collect bugs. There is probably a study somewhere that will support our animal’s feelings and prove that changing the time is not beneficial for them.  Perhaps Mr. Hudson's collected insects should have had a study done for them too.


6 comments:

  1. We did set back our clocks, but yesterday were starving by 10:30 am and ended up eating lunch then. It was kind of funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean! It takes a few days for my body clock to adjust too. Thanks Lisa and thanks for visiting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. too funny, we set ours back a week ago yesterday-and I keep saying to myself it is really such and such an hour, and what does it matter but I persist, like now it is 16H00 so I can have a wee something before dinner but then Mr O says but it is only15H00 and my wee something has to wait, today I made homemade chips and want to try them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Enjoy the chips now Lynn! That man never knew exactly what he was trying to get started did he? Thanks for the smile Lynn and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. I never knew that's how daylight savings got started! I always thought it was kinda weird!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were several that came up with this idea, Mr. Hudson was one of the first from what I read. The older I get, the harder time changes are! Thanks Susan and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!