Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Looking Back - Our First Christmas

We were married in 2003. I rode past the house we lived in the other day and thought about the happy times in that house. Our first home was a rented home, a wonderful old house in town. We both loved the house and lived there until I went back into property management.The experience prompted me to look for the pictures from that Christmas.
 
This was the tree in the den. It was a live tree and we went to the Christmas tree farm and cut it ourselves. The curtains were made using a sewing machine I purchased at an estate sale, and the material was found on sale. There were about 40 windows in that house!
 
 
There was a lovely sun room in the home and the floors were hardwood. The sun room was one of my favorite things about that house. This was the first year that I put up the fire fighter tree for my fire fighter husband. The ornament collection has grown over the past 10 years!
 
 
Looking back, I wish that I had taken more pictures. The picture below is the bath. The shower curtain and curtains were also made by me. It was a challenge because the windows are in the shower area, so I had to figure out how to cover the windows, keep the middle and right hand side windows dry and make it somewhat pretty.
 
 
This was also the year that I was given one of the most precious gifts ever by a friend. My friend could not keep her and asked me if I would take her. There was not a moment's hesitation in my answer! Her name was Gigi, she was a Yorkie and Tea Cup Poodle mix. She weighed just under 4 pounds! She was as sweet as her picture!
 
 
Those pictures remind me that our first year as a married couple may have held so many difficulties and unexpected challenges, but there were also so many sweet memories. We are grateful for the sweet memories.
 
Fast forward to last week, that is when the picture below was taken. I found Maizie and Lucy in this position and couldn't resist snapping a picture. Maizie has always thought that she needed to care for Lucy. Lucy was a sick kitten and still has problems from time to time. Guess that since Miazie has been fixed and can't have kittens, she thinks that Lucy is the only "baby" that she will have. She is obviously trying to take care of her and loves her 'baby".
 
 
Posted by Picasa
Christmas decorations are few this year at our house. The work seemed daunting to me this year. There has been so much chaos in our home for the past 6 months, that the idea of dragging out boxes and decorating the house was a challenge I was not ready for. We both wanted a simple Christmas this year, and seem to be enjoying things more. Perhaps the picture above will remind us of these feelings in years to come.

 

16 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed you made all those curtains!

    I only put out about 1/4 of our decorations this year. And I like having it simpler too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! This simpler Christmas means less stress too! That makes it worthwhile to me. Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Melanie! Oh, the sweet memories of Christmas past! Your trees ijn your first house were so pretty and I do love your curtains you've made and 40 windows! That's a lot. Love your sweet little fuzzy faces too.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelia! I remember sewing and sewing and sewing, but it was worth it. Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. what an adorable twosome, I love it when animals connect like this, lucky Lucy, well lucky Maizie too. We are not doing too much decorating this year either but it doesn't seem to dampen our spirits of the Season...I just counted our windows that I tend to whine over, not even close to 40!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn, they are cute to me too! The not going all out decorating has not dampened our spirits either, in fact it has done just the opposite! It was a relief to not have to decorate big, plus we have enjoyed things so much more.

      LOL!! So glad that I don't have that many windows anymore!!! That was hard work to decorate and clean that many windows.

      Delete
  4. Hi Melanie, what a wonderful post filled with love and memories remembered. Your pics of that home are gorgeous and it is easy to see how you enjoyed creating beautiful décor for it. Your tree was gorgeous. Keeping it simple was my idea this year too and I did not bring out lots of decorations that I usually do. Love your fur babies. They are adorable and what a cute pic.
    Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!!
    Hugs, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Celestina Marie! That first home does hold some sweet memories, I guess that it is partly becuase it was our first home together. Simple is not a bad thing! It has allowed us to enjoy the decorations more it seems. We won't have to pack up as much at the end of the season either! I like that part too!

      Thank you for the sweet words about our fur babies! It is always interesting to watch animals interact with each other. They can show an amazing amount of compassion for each other. Thank you again sweet friend! Thanks for visiting!!!.

      Delete
  5. What precious memories. You can tell there is peace and harmony in your home. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Lisa! You are always so kind! Merry Christmas to you and your family too! Thank you for everything you do, glad to call you my friend! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  6. Only a wreath on our front door & a few poinsettas around our house this year as well. We have cut back little by little the past few years but for some strange reason, I am missing them a bit this year. I may miss them now but not when I have only a couple of things to put up come January! Hope you have a Merry Christmas Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a relief to know that there is only a little to do after Christmas! Hope that you have a very Merry Christmas too! Thank you for visiting me through this year!!!

      Delete
  7. We didn't put a tree up this year. I have a few things around the house and my 'Christmas Blanket' that graces the couch. I didn't even get the fancy nativity set up this year...only the child's nativity. It isn't breakable and the children can handle it and we can learn the account of Christ's birth together. :)

    easy and simple. -- love your Christmas Past tree....Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have your priorities in order Pat! I am all for simple and easy. Thanks Pat and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  8. Aww, I love that precious photo of your cats together, and I enjoyed seeing your trees and curtains from your previous home. I was finishing the packing away of the Christmas decorations today and I was thinking that next year I was going to go simple as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane, it was so sweet to see them together like that. That was a memorable Christmas, We both loved that house and I still miss that sunroom! This year I had no choice but to go simple,as far as the decorating was concerned. I did not have the time or energy to do what I have done in years past. Thank you jane for visiting and commenting! I always appreciate your comments!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!