Monday, December 30, 2013

Monday Musing - Untold Stories

 
Today's musing is a blast from the past. This story ran in my weekly column in November of 2011.
 
 
My mama reads this column every week. Mama is the one who calls me to say that she liked what I wrote, and she does all of the stuff that a Mama should do to encourage a child, but she has said something that makes me wonder about writing this column every week.  Something happened at their house, and I can’t tell you what it was because Mama told me that she didn’t want to read about it in the newspaper. Is this a sign that I may be a writer? I am not sure, because it could just be a sign that my family does not want to read about themselves in the paper.
It is just not fair, they do some really funny stuff, and I am forced to keep all of this to myself, never sharing with you the reader, their funny stories. This forces me to wonder what to do next. Should I write all of these stories and store them somewhere, leaving directions to my daughter to publish them only upon my death, or do I just hold onto the stories waiting until the guilty parties have all left this earth? If I go first, then will my family be ransacking my house looking for the stories they do not want told? Leading me to more questions, what if they get rich off of the stories that I wrote, and I am not here to be rich with them? That’s not fair either, or worse what if they take their names out and put my name in their place instead. That’s just plain wrong. There are complications with either scenario.
The only conclusion that I can come to, is to keep the stories a secret, carry them with me to my grave, never sharing them, keeping my family’s dignity intact. It would not be fair to force any of those scenarios on them. That is what I will do. So to you the reader, I will tell you that when I am old and in a nursing home, if you see me sitting there laughing to myself, it is because I have remembered a story. Please understand that I still can’t tell you about it, I promised Mama that I wouldn’t, and I have to keep that promise. I will however offer this tidbit; there was a female that broke down a door in a gas station rest room, in another city, over 30 years ago. That’s it. That is all that can be said. This story, like the others that I have been told not to share will have to be kept a secret.  However, Honey Girl, have I got some stories for you! Bring a few notebooks and several pencils, we might be here for a little while.


12 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! Maybe you could write stores "but change the names to protect the innocent" -- or guilty! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! The funny stories I could tell!!!! Who is gonna protect me if I tell all the stories though? LOL!! Thanks Kathy and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  2. I would love to hear that one! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check your email, I am sending it to you! LOL!! Thank you for visiting!!!

      Delete
  3. too funny, it'd be a shame to loose them so I hope you are sharing them with your daughter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have shared a number of them with her. She is not old enough to appreciate the humor in them yet! Thanks Lynn and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. Oh I so don't think any legacies should be kept secret!! That you have a fun family isn't an imbaressing thing, in the least! I think you'll regret not sharing at some point. Course with not sharing, you always have a way to blackmail your poor family...did I just say that?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! The good stuff should be shared, you are right! I do my best to share it all! LOL!! Love that suggestion, any family members reading this should just ignore both comments though! LOL!! Thank you Michelle!! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. I have several stories of my own that my family has asked me not to share. Funny thing is some of them have no problem sharing stories involving me. Don't you just love family LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are we in the same family Michelle? LOL!! Maybe You could write my stories and I could write yours? Would we still be in trouble with our families? We will change the names! Thank you Michelle and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  6. I wish I had written down every story my mom, aunts and uncles told me when I was a child. They'd certainly be treasures. I think you should share the stories, but just not use names...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny part is that if you know them, then it is easy to tell which story goes with the family member! Fortunately they don't all read this blog!! BIG grin!!! Thanks Dianna and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!