Monday, January 6, 2014

Monday Musing - Tradition or Superstition


A new year is here, and with it comes immeasurable possibilities. A new year is an opportunity, a fresh start and is exciting to think about.  I choose not to be superstitious, or as my blogging friend NanaDiana’s 6 year old granddaughter calls it, stoopidstitious. We would have failed before the year began if we placed our faith in superstitions.

There are ideas that if we wash clothes on New Year’s Day, then someone in your family will pass away. Have you ever been to a funeral or visitation and heard the family trying to find the person who chose to ignore superstition, do their laundry on January 1 and cause the demise of their loved one? What authoritarian figure is keeping track of those that washed clothes on that day? The New Year’s Day Police perhaps? Will they press charges for the offense and is jail time a possibility?

There is also the idea that the things you do on this day, such as housework, must be done every day of the New Year. Superstitions place a burden on the believer and set them up for a year of failure.

This idea is probably true for Atticus. He spent New Year’s Day napping; now he will be forced to endure a daily nap. Atticus will be required to wake from his nap and enjoy a snack and a drink of water.  He will sleep late every day and launch an attack on his favorite toy of the moment. Atticus should have a good year thanks to silly superstitions. Is it possible that Atticus believes in superstitions?

There is an idea that I embrace and that is the traditional New Year’s Day meal. The Christmas season is filled with delicious treats, party fare and quick meals. These are all yummy, but the idea of black eyed peas and greens is very appealing. My southern heart is delighted to prepare this traditional meal every year and my husband’s southern taste buds are happy also. We haven’t seen financial gains because of the food. We eat it each year because we enjoy it. It is a tradition.

Our lives will be affected by what we choose to believe. My choice is to keep my faith and expect fantastic and amazing things to happen in 2014. This will be a year of endless possibilities. Good things will happen in spite of the bad. It is my mission to uncover and utilize these possibilities. 

18 comments:

  1. I'm not superstition perhaps a bit stoopidstitious :-) but did grow up surrounded by immigrants, it was the women that carried their superstitions from home and believed them to their bones, as kids we thought them quite funny and entertaining but were admonished for our levity - I admire your spirit and attitude for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother's were superstitious and none washed clothes on New Year's Day! There are still so many here that carry on those tradtions here. Thanks Lynn and thanks for visitiing!

      Delete
  2. Great post for the new year.
    Hope it's one of your best ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the superstition about washing clothes on New Year's Day was by someone who was too lazy to wash clothes that day!!
    I don't go with superstitions. I remember when I was 8 years old, the 12 year old son of one of our friends was killed in an accident. My Dad wouldn't let my Mom attend the funeral because she was 8 months pregnant and they were superstitious somehow about her looking on a dead child. Isn't that sad?
    It's going to be a good year! You are right about what we choose to believe. Keep the faith and keep on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered the sme thing Nonnie! guessing that this came about when clothes were washed by hand. That puts it in a different light doesn't it? I have heard of that particular idea and yes it is sad.
      It is going to be a good year! Thanks Nonnie and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  4. Well said. I choose that faith preceds the miracle and superstition holds us back from accomplishing great things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! They do hold us back, sad isn't it? Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  5. Hi Melanie, I haven't heard the one about washing clothes, but then I am not superstitious. Great post for the New year! Thanks for visiting my blog and I am now following you.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry! I am not superstitious either, but have heard the idea of not washing clothes on New Year's Day all of my life. Thank you Sherry and thank you so much for visiting me!!!

      Delete
  6. Hi Melanie! This was a great post. You're so right, there are so many silly superstitions and the sad thing is, some folks really put stock in them. I'm like you, I choose to live my life in faith and look for the good and know that God wants to bless is children. Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelia! You are so right! Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  7. Like you I am not superstitious. But being from the south I also love good southern food. It funny how we sometime only think of these food on a holiday. My family loves corn beef and cabbage and I only think to make it on Saint Patty's Day. That should be one of my new years goals to make these food more often. I know my family would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tend to think that way. Like you I love the corned beef and cabbage and don't think about it until St/ Patrick's Day. I need to try and do the same. Thanks Michelle and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  8. I'm not a superstitious person, but my oldest son is. He believes bad things will happen on a Tuesday. I used to not give it much attention until we started noticing things working out that way. It's as if Tuesday was the day of the week, that if something bad was going to happen, it would be that day. He was supposed to be born on a Tuesday too, but wouldn't come!!! He waited until Wednesday. Kind of strange huh? But, I'm still not superstitious over all. I had never even heard of the laundry thing! Lord, I bet I did laundry too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either Kelly. That is funny that he waited until Wednesday to be born though! Babies seem to come when they are ready, not when we expect them to. Mine was born 9 days after her due date! She jokes that she wasn't ready. Thanks Kelly and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  9. I make black eyed peas every year. More for the fun of the tradition than for any belief. I have never heard some of those superstitions though. Thanks for the reminder that I need to get some laundry started though! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the tradition, and they taste good too! Thanks Lisa and thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!