Monday, February 10, 2014

Monday Musing - Hope Flowers


It happened just this week, the flowers appeared. I noticed a glimpse of their bright yellow in our yard as I took the dog outside. The flowers that I had waited for were here. They have proper names of course, but my daughter called them baffomils when she was a toddler. The memory makes me smile as much as their appearance.
These are the flowers of hope for me. Winter will not last forever. Despite the bitter cold that we have endured, the rising cost to heat our homes, the ice and the seemingly endless supply of dreary days, these flowers return each year. These flowers of hope emerge into a drab world to remind us that spring is coming. There is life after winter.  It may be a wish and a seemingly distant memory, but it will be a reality soon. I am smiling as I type this. The hope has arrived, the baffomils are here.
My mind wanders as I stare at these beauties. Do they communicate with each other? Are they laughing, singing and speaking the language that only flowers understand? They may be writing the poetry of the flower world and laughing at us because we thought winter would never end. Can you imagine their laughter as they say to each other “silly people, they forget we come each year to remind them that spring is coming”. Do they stand tall and call out to children “pick me, pick me” as they walk past? Are they excited over the brief moments of winter sunshine and are these flowers aware of the responsibility that rests on delicate petals? The announcement that spring will surely come again is a responsibility embraced by these bright yellow blooms. Despite the dreariness of winter, the Hope Flowers survived to perform their duty again.
Their arrival is always timely and during winters such as this one, a welcome sight. Spring will follow winter. The dreary days will end and nature’s renewal will occur. Gardens will be planted, chicks will hatch and other animal babies will be born. The days will grow longer and warmer as the cycle of renewal occurs again. People will spend more time outside. We will then complain about the heat rather than the cold. The Hope flowers have arrived, after all “Hope springs eternal”. Look Katie, the baffomils have come back!


10 comments:

  1. Love it! No flowers here, and likely not for a while yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awful Lisa. I really look forward to seeing these and wish I could share with you! Thanks Lisa and thank you for visiting us!

      Delete
  2. Oh how blessed you are! There are no flowers here and in fact, it's snowing right now :) But I will enjoy yours - thank you so much for sharing! Have a delightful Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Stephanie, please do enjoy the flowers, wish I could send you some to enjoy! Thank you for visiting us, wishing that you will have Hope Flowers soon!

      Delete
  3. We are buried in snow--your daffodil looks so pretty--I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This winter has seemed endless hasn't it? Guess that it makes us appreciate the flowers more. Thanks Sandy and thanks for visiting us!

      Delete
  4. Thank goodness...gives me hope while I'm still snowed/iced in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need that hope right now! Thanks Cindy and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. I am now following you! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you do like my blog Elizabeth! Thank you for the kind words, the comment and for following me! It is great to have you here!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!