Monday, February 17, 2014

Monday Musing - Living In the Moment

 
Jennanydots, George and Atticus in the background
 
This past week brought its share of unpleasant weather.  The dreary, cold and wet weather seemed endless. I should have seen it coming; these thoughts always pave the way for a life lesson.
Thursday afternoon brought sunshine to our area. I walked to the window. Our cat, Jennyanydots was napping outside. She awoke and slowly stretched, as if the sunshine was the most decadent luxury imaginable. Jenny lifted her face towards the sunshine, appreciating the warmth and began to give herself a bath. Jenny was living in the moment, the past few winter days were a memory that she chose to ignore. It was a lovely, sunny afternoon despite the cool temperature.
The realization washed over me that there is still so much to learn. I was wearing warm clothes, holding a mug of coffee, looking outside from a warm home, while complaining. Jenny was appreciating the sunshine that had been missing since Monday and enjoying the simple pleasure of a bath after a nap. It was obvious that one of us had it wrong, and it wasn’t Jennyanydots.  Jenny is once again the teacher and I am the unwilling student.
Why should I complain? Jenny was outside. She eats the same thing each day yet a nap in the sunshine is a gift. She knows how to appreciate a luxury. The student had failed again. My attitude was wrong and needed an adjustment.
My mind began to race with ideas; there was no time to reprimand myself. That much needed paradigm shift had appeared and should be recognized. My eyes were drawn to the leash and the sleeping dog. I picked it up and the sound woke her. A walk would do us both some good.
My husband came home to the smells of homemade soup and chocolate cake. Why should I share a dreary attitude with him, when I could offer something better?  I chose live in the moment and appreciate my gifts, the first being a husband that came home.  This seemingly small change was quickly noticed. The first thing he said was “something smells good” as he smiled. My efforts were appreciated.
Jennyanydots has chosen to acknowledge and enjoy those small gifts wherever she finds them. Why shouldn’t I learn to do the same thing? Gifts are offered to us daily if we choose to recognize accept and appreciate them. How many will we find today?


14 comments:

  1. You're right, other than tragic events we really do control our own moods. I find myself having to remember this sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to forget it too often. Thanks Kathy and thins for visiting us!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post Melanie! I have the anxieties and I used to be too busy worrying about the future to enjoy the "now". For the last two years, thanks to a blogging friend and a book she suggested I am living in this moment. It is so much better! I always say, live life like a cat(or dog).. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would be much less stressed if we did that! They know how to live don't they? Thank you and thanks for visiting us!

      Delete
  3. sweet and instructive post, our pets do teach us if we care to listen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they have much to share with us. Thank you Lynn and thanks for visiting us!

      Delete
  4. Cute Kitties! I adopted five kittens three weeks ago. So I have seven kittens right now

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! You're right that we can learn so much from our four-legged furry babies. And I love the name Jennyanydots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is much to learn from them! Glad you like her name, guess you can tell where it came from. Loved that musical and she truly is a gumby cat! Thank you Dianna and thanks for visiting us!

      Delete
  6. Winter is hard. Your kittens are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. Thanks Lisa and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. Great post! I had a friend once say to me that animals are really angels. I truly believe that...this from a cat lover. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy! Glad that you enjoyed it, Jennyanydots has taught me many things and is fully aware that she is special, even angelic! Thank you for visiting us!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!