Monday, February 3, 2014

Monday Musing - My Grandcat Smut

 
My now married daughter told me some time ago that she had decided that her cat, Smut would be the closest thing to a grandchild that she would be providing. This is my fault and I know it. When she was a teenager, I told her that she should have 10 children that would be just like her. I also wished that she would have the health, longevity and financial resources to care for these children. This wish must have frightened her terribly.
Smut is now my grandcat. Yes, I accept Katie’s decision and respect her choice. There is still plenty of time for her to change her mind if she feels the need to do so, I embrace my grandcat and celebrate her birthday in June. Smut receives Christmas presents too. Katie sends me texts and pictures of Smut. She tells me stories about Smut’s antics, she is mischievous, playful and energetic.
There are many differences. I can’t look at Smut and remember how my daughter looked at that age. There is no family resemblance on either side. Those differences could create problems.
There are no framed pictures of my grandcat at my house. I lack the plethora of pictures that other grandparents have on their walls and in their wallets. My friends talk about their grandchildren, no one asks about my grandcat.  My friends have pictures and show them off, no one asks to see a picture of my grandcat.  Does my grandcat realize that we are different? Is her ego damaged beyond repair and will she require counseling because of the bias that exists in our world?
Katie calls me and tells me about the things that Smut does. Her stories are amusing and Atticus could be considered boring in comparison. Does Smut realize that my friends are sharing stories about their grandchildren and is she trying to compensate by creating stories about herself? Does Smut want them to know that she finds herself just as amusing and interesting as a real grandchild?
The truth is that my daughter’s decision is supported by her mother, whatever that decision may be. I will laugh at the stories and smile at the pictures. She may not be a grandchild, but she is Smut, my grandcat. That also means that she is Kevin’s grandcat too, and my mother has a great-grandcat! You know that I am laughing about that don’t you?


20 comments:

  1. My Mama used to say that to me too. And, yes for me, it worked, no kids. Actually it wasn't her fault, my husband & I just kept deciding not to have any and that decision finally stuck with us. I do hope Katie blesses you with a few little ones though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that I had scared the idea of having children right out of her when she realized that she could have teens just like her! I can laugh about that now. If she does then we will love them, if she doesn't we will still love her! Thanks and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. You have a lovely spirit... something like my mother's.
    She laughs about my dog being her granddog too.
    But likes the idea also. It is so nice to meet you.
    Blessings to you and your family :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Kath! It is lovely to meet you too! Thank you for visiting us and hope that you will co,e back soon!

      Delete
  3. You are a good Mommy, understanding and supportive. My own Mom had to be satisfied with two grand doggies, but it wasn't my choice. She was disappointed for many years until my brother and sister gave her grandchildren. I hope someday you might be surprised and hear the news that she changed her mind. However, if she doesn't, you are still a blessed woman to have a daughter and a loving relationship with her and her cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Nonnie! I am satisfied if she is happy! If it happens one day that is fine, and I would be happy! Thank you for the kind words. Thanks for visiting us!

      Delete
  4. I show off my Grandpets all the time--and my daughter has a houseful! I think my daughter is yet to have human babies because she was 9 when I added 3 siblings to the mix in just over a year. She had to change enough diapers for a lifetime. Now she would rather clean litterboxes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your grandpets are extra adorable and we enjoy seeing them! Guess that you can change that litterbox in your own time, unlike a diaper. Thanks Sandy and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Oh, forgot to say Smut is a very handsome Grandcat :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deborah in AtlantaFebruary 4, 2014 at 7:49 AM

    I have 1 human grandson, 3 grandcats, and 2 grand dogs. The grandson is my daughter's son (she also has 3 grandcats) and the granddogs are my son's. I enjoy them all the same and the grandson loves his cousins - as long as he stays older than them. Apparently being the "top dog" in the family is important. Love your blog. And p.s. I live in Georgia, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny Deborah! Kids have their own special and sometimes amusing way of looking at things! Glad that you came by for a visit! Hope that you will be back often! Thank you for visiting this fellow Georgian!

      Delete
  7. Well, Smut is absolutely precious! (I don't see any grandchildren in my future either.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dianna! We love what we are given and in Smut's case, it isn't difficult! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. This post could've been written by my mom because my hubby and I have decided not to have kids either but we have two cats. My mom tells her friends that her grandkids have 4 legs instead of 2! Hopefully my two brothers give her grandkids with 2 legs someday! I love the name Smut, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we love them no matter how many or how few legs they have! She was given the name Smut in the shelter. Smut has a good life now though! Thanks Khammany and thanks for visiting us!

      Delete
  9. Oh Melanie, you had me giggling! Smut is absolutely precious :) Hugs to you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! She is precious! Thanks for visiting us!

      Delete
  10. Are you sure Smut is a girl? From the photo of her holding the remote I'd swear she was a boy! And, my daughter told me the exact same thing - she just didn't want to have children. When she was 30 and her husband was 33 they changed their minds and now they're the proud parents of 3 year old twins. Enjoy your position as #1 Grand Cat, Smut - things could change! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't help but laugh loudly when I read that! But, there are more females in that household, my son in law has no choice because he is outnumbered! Thanks Jan and thanks for visiting us!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!