Monday, March 3, 2014

Monday Musing - Seasonal Changes


This weekend brings changes. Meteorological spring begins, paving the way for the official start of spring later this month. The Hope Flowers are back again this year and the pollen has provided a blanket for vehicles.  These changes prompt me to think about our home. It happens yearly, my husband has learned to dread this annual event.

This year is no exception; standing up from the dishwasher the first wave of creativity hit me. My eyes rested on the hutch and table. The what if’s began. I walked toward the dining room as the ideas began washing over my mind like the waves on the shore. I spotted the bookcase and it may have gasped and began to sob. If it could talk it would proclaim that it liked that wall and didn’t want to move. The plan was forming and I would need to prepare the perfect proposal for my husband as his muscle would be required.

It was shared that evening after supper. He sat quietly listening to the details. Experience had taught him that it would be a waste of energy to attempt changing my mind. Kevin is a man that simply wants a place to eat, watch television and sleep. It is irrelevant if the furniture is shuffled around.

He sat quietly, asking few questions as I lay my idea before him. His body took the familiar defensive position as his mind weighed the options. The recliner moved back and forth. Time stood still for a moment, the dog sought refuge in her kennel and Atticus napped with one eye open. We waited for his response. The rocking stopped and Atticus opened both eyes. Kevin looked at me and said “okay if that’s what you want to do” and picked up the TV remote.

Was this a seasonal change? The ocean of ideas began washing over my mind again. Sensing this, he said “one at a time”.  I shared this story with Katie. She replied that her husband doesn’t “know how lucky he is” . I laughed silently because my husband may think that his son-in-law doesn’t know what he is in for either. The realization will hit him slowly. My Daddy may have thought the same thing about Kevin as he knew about the seasonal changes first hand.  Change may be the wrong word, perhaps it is a refreshing. Whatever the word, it is happening again much to the dismay of husbands everywhere.

 

20 comments:

  1. what a funny post, Kevin is a wise man :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn! Yes, wise is a good description. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Have fun with your home improvement changes. That is always fun. With a little husband help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun and hard work too. The results will make me smile. Thanks Sharon and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. HA! I can so relate to this! (And so can my hubby Keith :) He knows when I say "I was thinking..." that some muscle will be involved!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that the people who read this blog would understand!! I knew that I was not alone, but in good company. Thank you Susan and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. Oh, Melanie, you're just wonderful! You really should write a book or at least some short stories! ;)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you precious friend are too kind! Thank you for your sweet words, it is always pleasure to see the comment you have left me, visit your blog to see what you have to show us and the note song you have for us that day! Thank you Shelia and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Hi Melanie, I love this story as it sounds like a conversation from a page in my household seasonal changes!! We do the same thing and my hubby has learned to say the same thing. LOL

    You are such a wonderful story teller and like Shelia said, you should write short stories to be published in magazines or short story books. You are very talented my friend.
    Thank you for stopping by and your kind comment. We are freezing here but the sun is shining today.
    Hugs and Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are also too kind sweet friend! I do appreciate the compliment! It is always a pleasure to read your comments too! Hope that you get some warmer spring like weather soon! The picture of the ice on your blog made me hope that you get warmth soon! Thank you and thanks for visiting friend!

      Delete
  6. We all need a little change sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little bitof change can be a very good thing! Thanks Lisa and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. A man that simply wants a place to eat, watch television and sleep. Throw in a shower and you've just described my hubby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I forgot to throw that one in! Thanks Dianna and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. Just when I've decided to keep all of my awesome ideas to myself! Maybe it's time to tell my husband some of my big plans. Would a kitchen remodel be too much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! A kitchen remodel is not too much. Spring does this to us and we can't help it. LOL! Thanks Joey and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. I agree with everyone--and I pretty much spend 80 hours a week writing! My mom is always wanting to change something in the house and my stepdad fights it--but he always ends up giving in. All my creativity goes into writing, so my husband doesn't have to worry about that. We had to rebuild our house after a flood a few years ago and after that, I don't even want to touch a paintbrush or sheet of drywall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry that you had to go through that! I can understand why you feel that way. Thank you for visiting us!

      Delete
  10. Changes in life is very important. Otherwise our life will get bored. My husband used to always change the places of things in our house, so each day our house look in different model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our lives would get boring without change. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!