Monday, March 10, 2014

Monday Musing - That Q Word


Preparing meals for picky eaters can be a challenge. My husband is one of those picky eaters. The name of the food is important. It can’t sound healthy or fancy. Understand that my husband ate a steady diet of canned biscuits and French fries before we met. I on the other hand question if canned biscuits should be considered food.

Eating at our table was a shock for Kevin. We ate vegetables and there were no canned biscuits. It was my mission to introduce this man to a world of food that could be enjoyed. He has learned to try different foods, there were some he liked and some he didn’t. I learned that presentation was as important as the name of a food and learned to give a good description and often a name change to food before each meal. My fried food, canned biscuit eating boyfriend became my “give it a try” husband.

Kevin eats vegetables and has tried fish. He was very upset when I told him that French fries aren’t considered a healthy vegetable, even if they are fried in vegetable oil.

Quiche is one of those foods that he said he would not eat. He does however, like my bacon, tomato and cheese pie. He would never consider eating anything from a French cookbook. There are chicken dishes that he enjoys. Chicken Piccata and Beef Burgundy sound strange. Captains Chicken and beef with  gravy are delicious.

This made me wonder if I was dishonest with my husband. Were these little name changes an act of deception? It was time to confess that the Q word had been served in our home. Nervously I prepared his favorite bacon, tomato and cheese pie. It was served with a salad and fruit. Kevin commented that he liked it. The opportunity had arisen for the truth to be shared. I told him that it has a fancier name, it is quiche.  He turned and looked at me, registering the deception. “Huh, really that’s what quiche tastes like?” He then began talking about something else.

The Q word had been revealed and without disastrous results.  Why had I waited so long to tell him what it was? Many questions come to mind. Do I now reveal the truth about the cauliflower casserole? Will he eat asparagus? These questions remain, and the Q word is not longer taboo in our house.

 

6 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your post!! Thanks for sharing!! I also telling my husband to take healthy food. But he like the items fried in oil. I can't help it. You have made a good job for your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad that you enjoyed it. Thank you so much for visiting!

      Delete
  2. That is funny! It is hard to break a man of the meat and potatoes kinda habit. I know.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Nutrition is not always on their minds. Glad you enjoyed and thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Do you remember the line from the eighties, "Real men don't eat quiche".? I never understood that phrase. Glad your hubby is coming around. Can you believe Rick never had rice until I cooked it for him. I was floored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! that is hard to believe, good thing you came along and showed him what he was missing!!!! Thank you Lisa, your encouragement has meant more to me than you know!!! You are the best!! Thank you for visiting!!!!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!