Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Spring Chicks



This is Tallulah Bell, she has watched the progress. It is easy to imagine what she is thinking.
 
We have 4 new chicks! 1 chick is an Americauna, they lay blue shelled eggs. The others are mixed breeds and should lay brown eggs if all are hens. The eggs are not blue, only the shells. I have found this to be a good breed. The hens are gentle and friendly and the roosters are good protectors, but not as aggressive towards us.
 
It is exciting to watch them grow and change! We candle the eggs weekly during incubation and keep up with the progress of the chicks. It is an amazing experience to watch their progress!
 
Generally the first chick that hatches is a cheerleader and will "call" the others out of their shells. It will sit beside the next egg about to hatch and appears to be cheering the chick on! The next chicks do not seem to take as long to hatch.

14 comments:

  1. I can't believe what a good cat you have.Mine would try to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Youth and inexperience keep her from snacking on them! LOL! Thanks Michelle and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. I can't believe that Tallulah Bell hasn't made a snack out of one of them. I don't think our cat would be so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year may be a different story, she is still very young! LOL! Thanks and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Oh lovely cat, my kitties will never let the chicks, they will play it, although they don't eat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad they don't eat them! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! We are hatching for our neighbors and on the third day of hatching. One is still pecking but not making much progress. I hope it makes it by tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it made it too! It is hard to just watch, I want to help them, but I know that is the wrong thing to do. So I watch and wait and cheer them on! Thanks Kathy and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Well it must be Spring! Spring Chickens!!!! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, finally it is spring! Woo Hoo! Thanks and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. What an incredibly sweet post. Love this pic of your kitty looking on. Yes, I wonder what she is thinking?? The little chicks are darling. How fun to watch the process. Enjoy and blessings to you. I hope Tallulah Bell stays nice and just looks!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afriad of what she is thinking! She knows that she has kitty toys that are fuzzy and squeak, and the chicks are fuzzy and squeak. If she has kitty toys, then why aren't these in her basket and shouldn't she play with her toys? Yes, it is fun to watch the process, it is just as amazing as it was the first time we watched it! Hoping that Tallulah Bell stays sweet and just looks too! Thanks Celeste and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. So cute--whenever I stop by the Farm Store I love to look at the baby chicks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to do the same thing Sandy, even though I don't plan to buy them, I have to look! Thanks Sandy and thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!