Saturday, May 3, 2014

A Painted Hutch

Spring is always a busy time of year for us. There are so many things to do and not enough time to get them all done it seems.
 
The hutch has been painted and I couldn't wait to put something on it, so I used some melamine dishes that I bought last year for now.
 
 
The color makes me happy!

 
I liked it so much, that I painted a table and couple of chairs to match. Then I decided to use a bench with these chairs and gave it a coat of paint too.

 
The green made me so happy, that I painted the rocking chairs too.

 
Then I painted a bench that my husband made and realized that I needed a table for the seating area. The barn held a treasure for me, it was that box below. It had belonged to Daddy and what he used it for, I don't know. The inside smells like cotton picker grease, so he must have used it for something.
 
The box is gray and it will not get painted. The only thing I plan to change will be to put some feet under it and raise it off of the floor. There is still work left to do here, the decorating hasn't begun yet! It was on the list for today, along with mulching the front flower beds and grass cutting.

 
I have another piece to share, for some reason it did not occur to me to take a before picture. I was so excited that I just jumped in and started painting! This piece was a thrift store find and was priced well. The desk was sturdy, just dated and in need of some love.



It was painted with an off white paint and the drawers painted a soft blue, stained and waxed. It is now respectable again. It isn't an antique or a piece of fine furniture, but it serves it purpose and has been updated. The 1980's won't be calling us wanting the desk back now maybe, because I needed a place for the computer! Perhaps one day I will remember to always take a before shot for the blog.

12 comments:

  1. Everything on your porch looks so great!
    I love the colors. That hutch looks wonderful. I've always wanted Rockers on our porch. Don't know why we don't have any... if we ever get the back porch cover and screened in...well, then maybe then.
    who knows?!
    I do love an inviting porch though. Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat! I fell in love with that color and I like it more everytime I walk out there. I am hoping that you get that porch this year! I know what it is like to wait and want a porch. You will emjoy it so much and so will the grands. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. very impressed with your make over's and you do work quickly...so neat to use your Dad's cool looking box

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn! i have felt like it was taking me so long to get things done here. The weather hasn't been cooperative, other spring chores and this and that have kept me from, finishing everything. Glad that you like that cool loking box too! Don't know what he used it for, but it smells of cotton picker grease so he must have used it for something. I wish that I had paid better attention to how he used some things, I spent so much time just watching him work and talking to him, never dreamed about the day he wouldn't be here to use his things, but glad that I have a few reminders of him. They each make me smile! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Hi Melanie, I love how your hutch turned out. The color is so pretty and soft. It will go with everything you display on it.
    The other items you also painted are gorgeous too. Your whole porch is so inviting and gives the feel of, walk up for a visit.
    Having rockers on the porch is so charming and I miss them on mine. You have inspired me to add one to the backyard, maybe. Have a great Sunday and Be Blessed.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I thought about the color too! I am glad that my porch gives that feel! I thought that an old farmhouse needed rockers and bought those when we came to this house, they have moved from porch to porch and haven't regretted that purchase. Like you I would miss them terribly if I didn't have them. Thank you so much for your kind comments! Thank you also for visiting! Iif you were close by, I would invite you to sit and enjoy a glass of tea on the porch!

      Delete
  4. I love all of your ideas. Your creativity astounds me. As I read your blogs I either laugh, get misty eyed or sometimes both. Thank you for writing such eloquent and positive articles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... You are so sweet and I am glad to call you my friend! You need ot come sit and enjoy this porch with me! The sweet tea is waitng! Thank you Lisa and thanks for visiting me! Your comments always make my day!!!

      Delete
  5. Lots of work but everything looks just beautiful! Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, it has been a lot of work. Thank you and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. Melanie I love the table and chairs! We have a table and couple of chairs and a bench. We eat dinner on the porch frequently. Your porch looks lovely. I hate that I haven't been to visit but I am trying to get caught up. Have a lovely Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I understand, everything has been so busy here too. Thank you for visiting!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!