Monday, June 2, 2014

Monday Musing - Sweet Iced Tea


Iced Tea and summer go hand in hand. It is difficult to imagine one without the other, in fact it just may be some type of crime. That probably is not true up north, but in the south, it is just downright disrespectful and wrong. I am truly concerned about the character of a person that does not drink iced tea. Perhaps their disposition and character could be greatly improved by this beverage.

If you have rocking chairs on your porch, then you need a glass of iced tea to go with them, and a few moments to stop and enjoy that cool glass of deliciousness. A pitcher of this heavenly drink is made daily at our house. The problem is this, my husband claims that someone apparently sneaks into our house in the summer and drinks all of our tea. It obviously is not him drinking all of the tea. Whoever this person is, they take the last brownie, cookie, slice of cake, and get the very last scoop of ice cream too. I am only guessing, but the tea bandit probably looks exactly like my husband.

We have a swing on our front porch, and that gentle swinging motion causes iced tea to taste even better. It is the same way with a rocking chair. If a cool breeze is blowing while you are doing either, the tea is more refreshing. A carbonated drink just does not quench your thirst in the same way.

Sweet tea is often called the house wine of the south because it is served everywhere. It is hard to find a home where iced tea is not served. Iced tea is served at our house in Mason jars. It is my personal belief that this affects the taste of the tea. Each cook has their own method of making tea; the time for steeping varies as does the choice of sweetener, and each person’s tea tastes different. Whatever the preferred method, each cook knows how the tea should taste.

As for Kevin and me, we will enjoy our iced deliciousness on the front porch in the swing. Blow the horn if you see us out there. I would offer you a glass but those tea bandits have probably drank it all if my husband is around. So if you drop by, just make sure you brought your own tea.

12 comments:

  1. That same little goblin lives at our house, too. I make iced tea for my DH, but I don't drink it myself unless it is sweltering outside. He likes my tea, but I have never been able to get my iced tea to measure up to my Mom's! I think it has something to do with the water. Swing away!! Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does seem to be something that makes Mom's and Grandma's tea better. I have wondered if it was the water too! Thanks Nonnie and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Melanie!
    This is great. I feel the same way--never heard it called 'The House Wine'. But isn't it true?
    I do love my tea-- I have a confession to make though.
    I religiously drank my tea from 'PICKLE Crystal" ... (glass jar) But a few years ago on Mothers Day, I was gifted a TERVIS insulated tumbler... Now, I'm not big on plastic tumblers...but Melanie, it keeps my TEA so COOL! While I sip on it and swing. I was intstantly hooked. I also love it, because, It has a lid. AND!!! it fits in the drink/cup holder of my CAR!!!
    So, while I do love tea from a glass jar almost year 'round. I drink it from my TERVIS...during the hot-HOT DAYS OF SUMMER, here in Texas.
    Sssshhhh! don't tell anyone. ;)
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was gifted with one of those tumblers too and yes I agree! It does keep the tea cold. Like you, I have the "pickle crystal", but this tumbler is handy. We drink tea all year too! Thanks Pat and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Mmm... I agree :) Although, I enjoy mixing Cherry Limeade in my sweet tea. Hugs to you, sweet Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good Stephanie. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. So true about a porch swing or porch rockers making tea taste all the better. Here in our bit of country, we add lemonade to our tea.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemonade, that sounds like something I should try, thanks for sharing that idea! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Hi Melanie, We are tea drinkers too and I keep two pitchers going at all times. We love it year round sitting out back enjoying the season with tea in hand. Yes, it is the wine of the south!!
    Sure enjoyed your post and I think the tea bandit stops here too.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That tea bandit gets around! 2 pitchers is a good idea during hot southern summers, and like you we drink it all year, ice included! Thank you and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. I am a huge Ice Tea drinker and when I have family over we literally go thru gallons of it. But no sugar! I guess we just aren't sweet enough around here ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mayber you are already sweet enough and your tea just doesn't require sugar Sandy! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!