Monday, August 31, 2015

Monday Musing - Roses and Lemons


 

Daddy shared his wisdom with us; most of that wisdom was learned from his father. The wisdom that comes from old farmers is proven and sound advice. Life taught me that Daddy’s wisdom and advice could be depended upon.

Life isn’t always fair or kind. We must learn to accept the good and bad things that life offers. Daddy often told me, “When life hands you lemons, make lemonade”. He taught me to make sweet lemonade when life offered you the worst, because you will need refreshment during those difficult times.

My life changed and the lemons overwhelmed me. It was time to make lemonade. There were so many lemons, that I had to make lemon pies, cookies and everything lemon that I could imagine. There were enough goodies that I am able to share the sweet.

Those unexpected and unwanted lemons proved to be a valuable gift. The opportunity to give away a treat is a blessing. Life’s lemons have a purpose and we are given the opportunity to choose how we will use them.

The roses that we encounter in life have thorns. These are uncomfortable lessons to learn. Parents attempt to teach these lessons early, but some lessons are best learned as adults.

My daughter was an only child and grew up with a pet. Katie decided that Bess would be the closest she would get to a sister, and she was. Katie gave her the nick name of Boopsie. Bess lived with us for almost 18 years and is buried in Mama’s flower garden. We planted a rose bush there.

The thorn of losing our pet is eased when we see and smell the lovely roses. The roses trigger sweet memories for both of us. We call them the Boopsie Roses. This was my attempt to teach my grown daughter a grown up lesson about thorns, as there have been more thorns since then.

Life will always offer more than enough thorns and lemons. Some will be easier to handle than others. Lemons and roses are seasonal and will not last forever. It is important to reap the benefits quickly. My lemons remain for a season, but the benefits will last a lifetime. That old farmer wisdom is still valid. It guides and often comforts me as an adult and has taught me to appreciate lemons and roses.

 

10 comments:

  1. That's beautiful. I am going to remember the Boopsie roses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melanie, Beautiful my friend and perfect for me this morning as 15 years ago this first day of September my dear precious mother passed away. Such a wonderful message. I love the name the roses named after Boopsie.
    Have a wonderful September! CM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Melanie, this was a heart touching post. I too know the pain of loosing a special pet and I too was an only child too and at times I was lonely for a brother or sister. Although I would have probably bossed them around! ;) The rose bush was a beautiful idea and leaves a wonderful lesson of love. Thanks for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rose bush makes us smile and we remember the happy things! They were funny together and they would sometimes get aggravated with each other. Guess that Bess was trying to fill the place of a sibling for Katie. Thank you Shelia!

      Delete
  4. It is very hard to lose a beloved pet.

    I will let you know about the fb group... Thanks for your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemons and Roses... without them we would not understand sweetness and heavenly fragrance.
    Loss is hard, whether your loved one is a pet or human!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! I have had to learn these lessons the hard way. Thanks Patricia!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!