Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Musing Atticus Seeking Employment


The events in Atticus’ life interest some readers. These readers have never chased him up and down stairs to give him medication, or attempted to kennel him for the dreaded trip to the vet. They aren’t missing any items from their purse nor have they had the feeling that they are being laughed at by a cat. Their Christmas tree hasn’t been destroyed and they aren’t missing any ornaments. Those ornaments weren’t discovered when I moved. Perhaps they would feel differently if they had firsthand knowledge of these events.

Atticus has adjusted to his new life rather well. He sits in his favorite window and watches his new neighbors. They have gotten to know him and wave at him; I thought they were waving at me. They thought that was funny. He enjoys the fact that his admirers acknowledge his presence.

He will have new adventures in his new home. His current interest has been the AC return. What is behind that sound and why does his fur feel funny when he gets close? He watches as the filter is changed, making mental notes. My tiny tool bag is hidden for this reason. Can you imagine the scene? I would come in from work and find tools scattered, the filter shredded and the dog innocently wagging her tail. The AC unit would never be the same. His world may be smaller, but his desire for trouble hasn’t diminished. Atticus is always on the lookout for any opportunity to create chaos. He is the reason that I do not have a good tube of lipstick. I haven’t been able to find that same shade again, since he destroyed the last tube.

Perhaps Atticus and Sophie are really the smart ones. They sit at home in comfort, while I work. They demand food and I deliver. They do no housekeeping and they don’t pay taxes. They have their own toys, treats and a bed to sleep in. They create mischief and I clean it up. This makes me realize some things. I am really working for them. They are my bosses.

Maybe they should seek employment and they would have less time to cause trouble. Does anyone know of an employer willing to hire a cat with a desire for mischief and an innocent looking dog? Atticus isn’t concerned about this possibility, he remains the king of our apartment, Christmas ornaments beware!

7 comments:

  1. Atticus needs some responsibilities for sure! Since he can't be trusted to change the filter perhaps he can be the official seat warmer... lying so still until you get home, keeping your favored chair warm for you.
    I some how think this just won't do!
    Your writing is hilarious. I'm taking an English/ Comp class now, me at 50! One thing my instructor recently said was not discount our tragic moments. They make us all better writers.
    I'm afraid if I were to open that door... no telling what my fly onto my computer screen. I'd like to harness the energy behind some of my experiences and write just one great tale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an awesome idea and I would gladly pay him to do just that! Just think of the trouble he could avoid if he were gainfully employed!!
      Thank you friend! I am happy that you enjoy it! It is awesome that you are taking a class, it is never too late for us to learn something new! Have been learning that one the hard way. Has your instructor heard of Atticus? His mischevious are sometimes my tragic moments! Open the door - you are not required to share it with anyone!

      Delete
  2. Knowing our pets are totally reliant upon us for their needs always reminds me of how we look to God for ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does Nonnie! Atticus depends on me for his needs and I depend on him to provide humor in my life, which he happily does!

      Delete
  3. Hi Melanie, LOVE your writing!! Atticus is surly giving you great material. Our pets have so much to tell us without saying a word. Their love is a gift!! Wishing you a happy fall! Blessings, cm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Celestina! Atticus works hard to provide me with plenty of material! He seems to enjoy his work! yes, their love is a gift!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed reading your post! I love your writing. Happy fall!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!