Tuesday, December 8, 2015

I Suwanee


Did you ever hear your Mama say “I suwanee”?  You may have heard that expression or you may have suwaneed too. My Mama was a suwaneer. Oh my word, did she do some suwaneeing. Todd and Brad are the cause of the suwaneeing and let me tell you, there was plenty to suwannee about. Mama also said “help my time” quite often; you can guess that they caused that too. 

It is a good thing for them that I didn’t write for the paper then. Its okay brothers, I won’t be telling the story about the little boy and the croker sack in the apple tree. Thank goodness for Granddaddy! Yall will just have to ask them to tell you what happened.

Suwaneeing is southern and comes from a different time. Ladies were expected to act like ladies and mind their words. When a lady used that term, she was exasperated. It isn’t often that we hear that phrase these days. Ladies don’t seem to use it anymore; it has been replaced by other unladylike words sadly.

My friend D uses that term often and isn’t afraid to do so on social media either. It made me think about the term and how we have neglected those old southern sayings, which may be amusing, but you don’t have to be ashamed that you said them. Maybe it would just take too long to explain it to younger generations. They don’t understand how or why to suwanee.

There are ladies that could teach others why and how to properly suwanee. That wouldn’t be such a bad thing in my opinion. You can’t help but hear the things people say in public, especially if they are on a cell phone. That seemingly silly phrase doesn’t sound as ridiculous now and isn’t as offensive as the things we can easily hear in public.

The art of suwaneeing may completely disappear. Oh my word what a tragedy. Is it possible to throw a good hissy fit without a suwanee or three? It is sad to think of these things disappearing from our lives not because of the tradition, but because of what they represent. It was a time when ladies and gentlemen were just that. It represents a time when the antics of little boys did not cause a Mama to act inappropriately. Help my time! There is no shame in a good suwanee.


4 comments:

  1. You are a wonderful writer and I look forward to hearing more about the mischevious Atticus and the innocent looking Sophie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mountain Mama! Atticus and Sophie have many more tales of mischief to be shared!

      Delete
  2. Your post made me smile ! I have not heard that word Suwanee in years! My grandmother said it often. My Mother's most used expression was lord have mercy! I miss hearing the old southern expressions we grew up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mama says Lord have mercy too! Thank you for visiting!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!