Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Mama's Wisdom



This past Saturday my formerly faithful dryer refused to start. The only sound it made was a slight whine, or it could have been a whimper. Whatever the case, it would not be drying my laundry. I hung my head and wondered if I could reason with the stubborn appliance. 

Our time together has been short; 13 years can pass so quickly. Why had my friend deserted me in my time of need? Why did this have to happen on a Saturday afternoon?

There had to be options, but what were they and what about the wet laundry in the washing machine? This was a crisis because I am a working gal and I need my weekends to catch up on things that have been neglected during the week.

Mama would understand. Mama would offer sympathy, understanding and somehow manage to find a gem of wisdom to offer. Mama wouldn’t laugh until after she hung up the phone. Mama was the person to call!

Mama reminded me that this past Saturday was the day I was supposed to be moving away. It was the day my belongings would have once again been loaded up and hauled to a different location. This could have been happening in a different town, far from my home. My problem began to shrink to a realistic size. Mama was right again.

This was not the crisis it could have been if I were in a new place, attempting to unpack and find a trustworthy repairman simultaneously. There is always a reason to be grateful. My boss had called a few weeks ago with the news that I was being transferred to a different location. 

My heart broke with that news. This new location lacked the cotton fields, family and friends that have been a part of my life. Everything was about to change.

That change did not happen and I have been granted the opportunity to stay in the place that I have loved. A broken dryer is not the crisis I had believed it was. Mama gently provided the attitude change I needed. The dryer may have deserted me, but Mama didn’t.

This reminds me that a Mother’s work is never finished. Mama offers a different type of bandage for adult ouchies. Sometimes that healing bandage comes in the form of a paradigm shift. It’s my turn to offer my grown child a paradigm shift.



2 comments:

  1. Mother knows best. Love this post Melanie and the sweet lesson here you so wonderfully write. Wishing you the spirit of the season. Blessings to you. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sweet friend! It makes my day to read what you have to say to me!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!