Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Mrs. B

Mama called Monday and told me something that scared me. Mama had talked to a high school teacher of mine that reads my column. My mind raced and I began to sweat. I felt like I was in school again, my weekend date was about to be canceled because I was grounded and there would be no phone calls for me. What had I done all of those years ago?
Time passed slowly, milliseconds seemed like hours. What happened and did I really do it? Where were Todd and Brad when I needed them? Wait, they are younger and wouldn’t have been in my class, so I can’t blame them. My heart raced knowing that I was in trouble. How would I explain to the Home Office that I was grounded from the telephone? Would my boss understand? Would Mama call them and explain the situation? Would the mailman still speak to me? How will Atticus feel about me once the awful truth is revealed?
This was not looking good. My head hung and I drew a ragged breath, waiting for Mama to finish the story. Mama told me that my teacher was at Church for Homecoming this past Sunday, and they sat at the same table to eat, no good comes from your Mama talking to your high school teacher. Time stood still, the birds stopped singing, my office became silent, and the world was waiting to hear about the trouble I was in.
Mama told me that my teacher reads this column. My mind began scanning past columns searching for my misbehavior. Mama said that Mrs. B enjoys my columns. Relief washed over me and the lump in my throat disappeared. Maybe I wasn’t grounded and phone privileges remained. The realization that there is no date this weekend anyway and maybe it wouldn’t be so bad to be grounded from the phone brought me back to reality.

Maybe it is possible for good things to come from your Mama talking to your high school teacher. The thought of getting grounded and staying home for the whole weekend is appealing. Adulthood calls, reminding me of all the tasks that must be accomplished during those weekends.  Youth is wasted on the young; they simply don’t understand that being grounded is a privilege they will long for when they are older. It sounds like a mini vacation. Please Mama ground me now!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I think being grounded might be a good thing at this time of life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute post! Glad to know that you're in good standing with Mrs. B AND your Mom. We just didn't understand how simple life was "back then", did we??

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we understood what was going on while it was going on, we wouldn't learn anything. Oh, to be a carefree child again pretending and longing to be grown-up! It would sometimes be nice to lay down the responsibilities. But we can't. We keep on going knowing the sufferings of this world aren't worthy to be compared with what awaits us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave me a comment, I would love to have a record of your visit! Anonymous comments will not be published!